Bird Tree Of Life

Scylla

I'll have to look into having this printed on a T-shirt :)

Now, about those Mesozoic birds...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interseting, but I'd barely say it incorpoartes the Cretaceous; I don't see any Cretaceous or Eocene groups in there... Hesperornthiformes, Confuciusornis, Lithornithids, etc. Looks like a more Holocene bird phylogeny with a bit of a molecular time scale thrown in.

Complaint: The author says this:

"Biologists have long thought the tropics would play host to the greatest range of speciation. After all, that’s where you find

." I ask... what in the world does the existence of birds of paradise have to do with speciation? NOTHING! A fine example of shoddy science reporting.

Thanks for listening

Interseting, but I'd barely say it incorpoartes the Cretaceous; I don't see any Cretaceous or Eocene groups in there... Hesperornthiformes, Confuciusornis, Lithornithids, etc. Looks like a more Holocene bird phylogeny with a bit of a molecular time scale thrown in.

Complaint: The author says this:

"Biologists have long thought the tropics would play host to the greatest range of speciation. After all, that’s where you find

." I ask... what in the world does the existence of birds of paradise have to do with speciation? NOTHING! A fine example of shoddy science reporting.

Thanks for listening

It starts with extant avifauna, and backtracks; no extinct Families are named, just implied in the 'roots'.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would like to read this article, I asume they only place available is Nature?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Now THAT'S a phylogeny! I especially like the combination histogram and color scale for diversification rate. Genius!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett