5 Gal Bucket Treat From Midlothian

Hit The Deck

Did a little preliminary sifting through one of the pails of material we brought back from the HGMS trip a few weeks ago and found a nice Mosasaur Vertebra! Think I know what I'll be doing this weekend with 4 more buckets soaking in the garage: :D

post-2688-0-93163300-1351792007_thumb.jpg

Very cool!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Very nice find! My only mosie morsel was the baby tooth in my ID discussion topic but I see where Texas Fossil Hound got a nice jaw from there. I got an email question from another quarry hunter about breaking down the shale rocks from there. This inspired me to test some of the chunks of "contact zone" material I brought back from last Saturdays hunt. Turns out whoever said hydrogen peroxide did the best job for this was right. I've found three more teeth and a shark vert to add to my Ash Grove goodies, and still have lots of rock to disolve. This also reminded that I have boxes of rocks from several past trips to the TXI quarry in Midlothian :o

Must find a source of bulk H2O2. Does anyone know whether peroxide looses it's power to do this work over time the same way acid baths get neutrialized and need replaced?

...Does...peroxide loose it's power to do this work over time the same way acid baths get neutrialized and need replaced?

Yes, definitely. It does not keep all that well, either, and is extremely light-sensitive, so stockpiling large quantities is risky.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i've been getting the 16oz 3% from dollar General and using one bottle per 5gal bucket. Softens it up within a few day depending on the material.

Very nice find! My only mosie morsel was the baby tooth in my ID discussion topic but I see where Texas Fossil Hound got a nice jaw from there. I got an email question from another quarry hunter about breaking down the shale rocks from there. This inspired me to test some of the chunks of "contact zone" material I brought back from last Saturdays hunt. Turns out whoever said hydrogen peroxide did the best job for this was right. I've found three more teeth and a shark vert to add to my Ash Grove goodies, and still have lots of rock to disolve.

Haha maybe that big chunck of rock stuck to my squal will be stuck in a bucket to perhaps turn some goodies up out of it. I found several teeth while I was trying to make the rock smaller so maybe...

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I am going to try the Hydrogen Peroxide trick. Thanks!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

I am going to try the Hydrogen Peroxide trick. Thanks!

Jon

It works wonders for all sorts of areas. I learned the hard way to use it rather than vinegar. Vinegar will eat the color away of some things. I leave my fossils in it for days turning them and getting them clean.