What Is This?

garyc

I picked this up from some river gravel and it has finally bugged me enough to post some pics. Any ideas? Coral? Coprolite? Weathered rock? It's about 1.5in long and shaped like a slightly flat egg.

post-5020-0-85321400-1351792675_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-19600300-1351792687_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-05711600-1351792698_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-30176200-1351792705_thumb.jpg

That is what we term a "somethun". Don't know what though, maybe a coral?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Don't have a clue...... :zzzzscratchchin: ....Whating to see what others might think it is.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

It has features found in archaeocyathids but it does seem a bit large. It could be easily ruled out if we knew the age of the rock that it's likely to be from.

Don't know but I like it---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

It has features found in archaeocyathids but it does seem a bit large. It could be easily ruled out if we knew the age of the rock that it's likely to be from.

I'm not sure if determining the age of the rock is possible. I found it in a bed of river gravel on the Brazos.

Any chance it could be the corroded remains of something manmade? Did you see if it's attracted to a magnet?

Any chance it could be the corroded remains of something manmade? Did you see if it's attracted to a magnet?

It is not magnetic. Definitely a rocklike material. Nothing about it seems man-made to me.

I don't claim to be an expert, but a little research makes me think there is a good chance this is an archaeocyathid. I haven't found anything online, but I have an older text book that diagrams these features as one of a few variations in them. It doesn't seem out of the range of their size,and I think the geologic map shows rock the right age in the area as well.

I think it's a tabulate coral, there are micheliniids that have that structure. Very nice!

Agreed. I think we're looking at endothecal dissepiments.

Thanks for all the responses. I googled all the possiblities thrown out here and I'm leaning toward tabulate coral also. A heavily mineralized and river tumbled piece. It would make an interesting pet rock.

I think it looks like a pinecone. :)

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Don't know, but I like the looks of it. :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks