Friday Fossil Fix! Eocene Nc.

masonboro37

I met some great fossiling friends this morning at a quarry here in Eastern NC. The quarry area where I was hunting is Castle Hayne Formation, Eocene. This quarry owners really do not allow collectors much anymore and this was a special trip. We all had a great time and I will have to say I got a major workout today. I am so happy I brought a clam rake (my walking stick) to help me along. Whewww, those hills can be intimidating at times even for one in the best condition. I have been getting over a fall cold and I did my best to explore and hunt the awesome fossils in this area. I really had a great time and I did find some unexpected fossils. I always enjoy Cephalopod and Brachiopod specimens! I was so on the prowl for something else (a big ole Entemnotochus nixes), but I am pleased with what I brought home. Just wanted to share my Friday excursion with everyone. :)

post-7899-0-17756300-1351902878_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-16769400-1351902914_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Pic's of my heartbreaker Maretia subtrostrata echinoid. I so thought it was going to be in pristine condition. I still like it though!

post-7899-0-15581100-1351903109_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-84965300-1351903120_thumb.jpg

Oh, Bryozoa! First pic is instiu Centronea micrpora bryozoan colony. Second pic is after rinsing with water and a soft toothbrush to clean. Turned out pretty!

post-7899-0-24495400-1351903271_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-25740300-1351903295_thumb.jpg

Brachiopods! Eocene in NC always has some when you are patient. These are some of the largest brachs I have ever found. Plictoria wilmingtonensis and other. In to my riker box once they have dried!

post-7899-0-91570600-1351903455_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

First pic: Big crab claw pincer! I would love to know how large this crab was.

Second pic: Echinoids, Periarchus lyelli

post-7899-0-16550800-1351903693_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-32925300-1351903714_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

First pic:Ceph specimens: Chamber casts of Eutrephocera carolinensis and then a teeny tiny Anomalosaepia , Cuttle Fish guard anterior portion.

Second pic: Not sure of the id of this echinoid. Maybe, Eurhodia holmesi?

post-7899-0-07522800-1351903909_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-65026800-1351904059_thumb.jpg

Eocene Brachiopods; very cool! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And the last of the pic's......Not too exciting, but I have not found these interanal molds before at this quarry. Crassatella willcoxi, clam. The valves are so cool! ;)

post-7899-0-10280400-1351904215_thumb.jpg

All very nice fossils. That bryozoa is really cool :wub: I haven't seen anything like that. I would have thought it was coral :mellow:

Well done, Libby!

Steve

Libby---I don't know where to start, all your finds are over the top, the P. lyelli are very interesting especially with the hitch hikers on them, think I would leave them on. Nice shark teeth but the echinoids are awesome, very jealous----Thanks for sharing---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Outstanding finds, and I love the way you post multiple pictures and explanations - very informative and helpful for the newbies like me!

Thanks

Pic's of my heartbreaker Maretia subtrostrata echinoid. I so thought it was going to be in pristine condition. I still like it though!

These are great to find in any condition in my opinion!!!! :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

...This quarry owners really do not allow collectors much anymore and this was a special trip....

First, great finds and I love the ground shots. Second, you mention that the quarry owner doesn't really want to allow fossils collectors anymore? Any particular reason for this? Will there be more "special" trips? I hope there will be so you can continue to hunt there. Seems like a really fun place to hunt with a nice assortment/variety to satisify your appetite.

Daryl.

Verrryyyy nice finds....I have only been once to a NC mine some years back ,,,sure would love to go to another some day.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Nice hunting! I'd be excited about any of these finds. That sand dollar with the the bryozoans attached is terrific. Thanks for a great report.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Eocene Brachiopods; very cool! :wub:

Thanks Auspex! Brachiopods have capitvated me for a while now.....so pretty and delicate.

First, great finds and I love the ground shots. Second, you mention that the quarry owner doesn't really want to allow fossils collectors anymore? Any particular reason for this? Will there be more "special" trips? I hope there will be so you can continue to hunt there. Seems like a really fun place to hunt with a nice assortment/variety to satisify your appetite.

Daryl.

Some of the quarries here in NC are slowly closing to collectors. Then once in a while they allow collectors in. This is one of those particular quarries.I think this happens due to blasting, dangerous terrain and just an all over decision by the owners/managers. I sure am thankful to them to allow some of us at times. :)

Libby---I don't know where to start, all your finds are over the top, the P. lyelli are very interesting especially with the hitch hikers on them, think I would leave them on. Nice shark teeth but the echinoids are awesome, very jealous----Thanks for sharing---Tom

Hi Tom, thank you! I am definately going to leave the little firends on the P. lyelli. Gives them character!

Edited by masonboro37

Wow awesome haul Libby! I was in a quarry fri too lol.

-CQ

Quarry hunting is fantastic! How did ot go for you CQ?