Id Fossil Please - Tooth?

Imanoldfossil

Hello, thank you for helping me to indentify this fossil. I think it may be the tooth of a croccodile just from photos that I saw on the Internet. This fossil was found at a flea market in Gallipolis, Ohio. There is no information with the fossil. I don't even know for sure if it is a fossil, just looks like one. It is solid with the weight of stone. The fossil measures 2.5" long. I'm not sure what the holes are. They don't appear to be drilled but appear natural to the fossil. The fossil is hard but has a semi porous surface. Thanks again. Christina

post-10353-0-03350300-1351919384_thumb.jpg

post-10353-0-28385700-1351919408_thumb.jpg

post-10353-0-96618500-1351919411_thumb.jpg

post-10353-0-89331300-1351919414_thumb.jpg

post-10353-0-92130800-1351919418_thumb.jpg

post-10353-0-78014000-1351919425_thumb.jpg

Hi Christina,

Welcome to The Forum! You are in a great state for fossil collecting, I can't wait to see more of your finds. Unfortunately, I don't think your fossil is a tooth. I'm pretty sure you have a rugose coral, also known as a horn coral. Your's looks a little stream worn, but it is a nice specimen considering its size. Neat find at a flea market!

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Thank you! I will do some more research on this subject. Good find for $1.00. The seller had no idea what it was. I have collected (found in the wild) a few fossils here and there. Can't wait to post pics of them. Quick reply. Thanks so much.

There are more fossils here. It looks like those holes are trace fossils, a result of some small creature tunneling into it.

Horn coral it is and a pretty one at that!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I think that there is a type of clam that bores holes in fossils but not sure on the name though. Your fossil is a type of horn coral for sure. B) B) B):)

It's my bone!!!

Rudistids are a "Vase-like" clam "with a flat lid" that is wide spread throughout the Cretaceous. This is not an example of a rudistid. This is a horn coral.