Vandals At Flag Pond Park (Calvert County, Md)

SouthernMdRan

So my girlfriend and I are avid shark tooth hunters for the past year and a half, mostly at Flag Pond Park in Calvert County Maryland (ever since my GF found a 1 1/2 in mako suddenly wash up at our feet during our first trip there together). It helps that I live about 10 minutes from the park.

Anyway, we were anxious to get down to the park after the recent near hit of hurricane Sandy. The first day the park was open since the storm was yesterday (Friday the 2nd). My GF was off that day and got down there when it opened - I worked most of the day and left early and met her down there later.

Flag Pond park is not only a nature park, but also is a historical site. As recently as the 40s and 50s, the site functioned as a pound fishery. At the time, there were a number of fishermen who lived on site in 3 or 4 fish 'shantys'. These were small structures, approximately 15 by 25 feet with stone fireplaces. As the fishery use ended, most of the shantys were raized...however, one remained...and was maintained as a historical structure. Well maintained, it had the simple furniture and kitchen utensils that were typical of the time. There was signage providing explanation of the purpose and history of the structures and was a key part of the park.

While at work, as my GF made her way down the 2/3 mile walk to the beach, she sent me a picture. On Tuesday, Oct 30, the evening after Sandy had passed, vandals had illegally entered the park, and set this fish shanty on fire. She came across the yellow-taped off crime scene...the building was completely destroyed. Only the stone fireplace and chimney, along with fire resistant pots/ketttle/etc. and various debris remained. I've attached a picture.

The vandals also broke into the bathroom structure near the beach, and trashed it as well, apparently smashing the sinks and commodes.

Local police have no leads at this time.

I just wanted to make the community aware of this.

Totally senseless, and my GF and I are at a loss for words.

post-3757-0-47547300-1351944362_thumb.jpeg

My first thought is "unbelievable". But, sadly, it's NOT unbelievable. We are frequent users of Flag Ponds too and everyone we've ever met there has been awesome. I could go on a "what is wrong with society ..." Rant but it wouldn't do any good.. Makes me sick, though.

Thanks for the update. Like everyone else, I hope they catch the culprits but have little faith that they actually will.

Joe

I enjoyed the historic interpretation that shanty provided; very sad.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sad indeed. Maybe people should keep an eye on You Tube, it seems these days it's not uncommon for idiots who do things like this to record it and post it online for their "friends" to "enjoy". A few such crimes have been solved by tracing such postings.

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

Modern media seems to have fueled a fascination with destruction. I guess we can only hope that it's positive effects will outweigh the negatives.

I am very sorry and sadden to hear about that. I agree with Vordigern, I hope they get caught and the book gets thrown at them.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

I hope they get caught and the book gets thrown at them.

That may be the first time they've seen a book. :)

Context is critical.

That is such a shame. I hope these idiots are caught.

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Some people need to be taught a real lesson in respect. It's really frustrating that this happens. I hope they are caught and punished.