What Is This?

mommabetts

post-498-1224119714_thumb.jpgpost-498-1224119754_thumb.jpg[attachm

ent=12306:fossils_3_019.jpg]I have had this for a long time now and have yet to figure out for sure what it is. I think it is a jaw of some kind but would not bet on it. It deosn't have the typical bone structure that most bones have but I still think that it is bone. On the outside of it it looks like some of the hide is still on it. The hide part is a good 1/8 inch thick and has the texture and look of thick skin. This is one of the first things that I ever found at the NSR, ozan formation, middle campanian, upper cretaceous. It is about 1 1/2 inches thick overall 2 1/2 x 2 inches. Any ideas?????? Thanks

post-498-1224119781_thumb.jpg

My camera isn't a very good one and I have been trying to get clear pics of it for a few days and these where the best that I could come up with, sorry

Guest bmorefossil
My camera isn't a very good one and I have been trying to get clear pics of it for a few days and these where the best that I could come up with, sorry

its ok, its just so hard to tell what you got there lol.

I don't think concretion because of the different textures and because of the way that the back side has the different sections together. To me, it looks like the piece of jaw that forms the back of it, if that make any sense.

...On the outside of it it looks like some of the hide is still on it. The hide part is a good 1/8 inch thick and has the texture and look of thick skin...

I assume that the "hide" is stoney? I don't think the NSR is known for petrified skin (practically no place is).

Look beyond what it "looks like"; another possibility may be waiting patiently. Ask yourself "if it's not hide, what else could it be?".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is why it has puzzled me so much. I have looked at this thing with a microscope for hours and it reminds me of a thick hide. I have tried to figure out what else could it be, I don't know, I have looked in every book that I have, too many to count, and I have not seen anything even close, I am at a lose.

Guest bmorefossil
That is why it has puzzled me so much. I have looked at this thing with a microscope for hours and it reminds me of a thick hide. I have tried to figure out what else could it be, I don't know, I have looked in every book that I have, too many to count, and I have not seen anything even close, I am at a lose.

ok.well can you maybe drawl us what you see that might help us with an id

I will see if I can borrow a better camera that will show more detail and get it posted in a day or two. I really don't have a clue as to what it is and it has been bugging me for a long time now. Thank for the help

Guest bmorefossil
I will see if I can borrow a better camera that will show more detail and get it posted in a day or two. I really don't have a clue as to what it is and it has been bugging me for a long time now. Thank for the help

would love a better camera, ok well untill then i feel no one know what it is (=

I hope I'm wrong, but prepare yourself for the possibility that it might be a very clever rock. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like to me to be an overcooked porkchop.

Most definitely.

That would explain the "hide".

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Guest Nicholas
I hope I'm wrong, but prepare yourself for the possibility that it might be a very clever rock. :)

I've met many...they break your heart and steal your wallet... :P

Guest bmorefossil

it could be you never know, i just want to see what it is

Guest N.AL.hunter

I too can't determine what it is from the pictures, but seeing where you are from, I am sure that you could show it to some other collectors in TX for them to help with the ID. For your sake, I hope it is a real good find.