Quick Trip

garyc

I made a quick pit stop to an area on the Brazos I can get to on foot. Found two nice pieces of glyptodon osteoderm and this cool artifact. I know less about knives than I do fossils, so I don't know if this is someone's fillet knife they dropped last year or if it came off of one of Santa Ana's soldiers while crossing the Brazos in pursuit of Sam Houston. Then on the way back up to my car I came within 15 feet of a bobcat. It did not see me at first, but then it turned it's head in my direction. Fight or flight took over, so of course I just froze. It bounded off into the woods and I cursed myself for not getting a pic with my phone. It was truly a beautiful beast.

post-5020-0-46023200-1352318771_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-58371800-1352318778_thumb.jpg

That was an interesting trip, the knife is dagger shape, believe an age will be made from what the handle is made of, any clue there?--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice Ostoderms.....But that Knife is really cool and its worth taking to a local museum to get a ID on it....You just might have a real piece of history on your hands.....

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

If the remains of the grip are hard rubber, or something like it, OR if that is a rod, rather than a tang, that was holding the grip in place, it would be much more recent than Santa Ana.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's definitely a dagger. Take it to a musuem and maybe they can help you with it. It looks rather old, maybe from Cortes or DeSoto or other Spanish explorations in the 1500's. That's my guess.

...Fight or flight took over, so of course I just froze. It bounded off into the woods...

I guess for your sake, it's a good thing it chose flight. Otherwise, you might not be in as good of shape right now.

Nice finds all around. You never know what you're going to find in some of these river/creek beds.

I'm afraid the dagger may not be that old. If the handle is metal and it's a metal rod holding the handle in place, it may be one of these:

post-6450-0-27006700-1352322191_thumb.jpg

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

It is a metal threaded rod holding the handle, can't tell about the composition of the handle itself. Most of it is broken off. I don't think it is metal.

It is a metal threaded rod holding the handle...

This, I think, argues for a more modern origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This, I think, argues for a more modern origin.

Too bad. I was thinking that maybe the Lady of the Lake (or of the Brazos, as the case may be) had just appointed you King. And on election day too for good measure.

Don