Kohl Ranch, Arizona- Pennsylvanian Naco Fm.

Eero59

While in Phoenix two weeks ago, I drove up to the famous Kohl Ranch "Paleo Site" east of Payson, to collect from the Pennsylvanian (Desmoinesian) Naco Formation.

The site has a paved parking area. After passing through a sort of Disneyland gate in the wire fence, you see the exposure immediately to the right.

Even after decades of collecting, fossils (esp. Composita brachiopods) are eroding out of the layers of grey laminated mudstone in abundance.

Here are some of the finds: Crinoid calyx, primibrachs, Composita subtilita, spiriferida,

two views of a mollusc, i think, bryozoan colony.

post-525-0-39748200-1352331038_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-39915600-1352331060_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-32601400-1352331082_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-79646900-1352331102_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-65711500-1352331125_thumb.jpgpost-525-0-07064600-1352331237_thumb.jpg

Nice haul. I may have to check it out the next time I pass through Arizona.

Context is critical.

It was great collecting weather.

The pics are just a small sample of what I found- the site is infested with Composita.

The spirifers and other brach species were less common and often damaged- but I have a good number of whole specimens. Lots of crinoid material.

Conularia and other interesting things are reported from this site. I also took samples for hunting micros.

• 9 months later...

It's a nice site. A bit of a challenge to maintain a good digging position on the hills as material below the exposures is pretty loose--not to mention if you go during the summer months there's no shade and it's hot. My daughter and I went last July and we were the only two souls out there. Nevertheless it's a fun spot and you're pretty much guaranteed to walk out with something interesting.

I collected there about 15 years ago. At that time it was just stopping not far off the road. Also, other fossil locales in the general area if you explored. Kohl ranch is Pennsylvanian but there was quite a bit of Devonian material in nearby dried creek beds....found atrypa brachiopods. The Pennsylvania material was tinged red but the Devonian gray. There was a place called Diamond Creek where we looked for nice quartz crystals and it had Devonian specimens here and there.