Needle Or Worm

Justin.s.floyd

I am new to this forum and was hoping for an ID on a fossil I found as a child. It was discovered as a polished beach stone already displaying this level of detail, around 20 years ago in the Gulf Islands of BC Canada.

I look forward to your expertise.

post-10376-0-34249300-1352368450_thumb.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

What is the size of the item?

Any chance of a bigger/better picture from right over head - looking directly down on it?? Maybe from a few angles as well?

Also - is there anything sticking out from the other side of the rock?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello and welcome to the FF. What you have (I'm sorry to say) is not a fossil. Black shales like this beach stone often contain pyrite in some form or another. That's what your specimen has on it. The first fossil I found as a child was a water worn section of a common horn coral but I thought it was the coolest and 30 years later, I still have it.:)

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Nothing out of the other side of the rock since the rock itself is a half a centimetre thick.

Also the "fossil" in question is raised ever so slightly from the surface of the rock. Perhaps the thickness of two human hairs.

Edited by Justin.s.floyd

Is the matrix actually black shale? It almost looks like basalt.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good; it would have been harder to explain the inclusion were the matrix igneous.

I propose that what you have might be an in-filled burrow, from an invertebrate tunneling in the mud. It is not uncommon for such traces, due to the action of bacteria on the organics entrained in such burrows, to become harder than the host shale and be more resistant to erosion (hence the raised aspect of the specimen).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

To me it looks like a pyrite burrow/inclusion in black shale. Not uncommon in black shales.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks