Found This "thing" Today On Galvaston Island

Ramo

I got rained out of work today, so I went to the Johnson Space Center and then down to Galviston Island. I found this thing along the coast right out in front of that big white Hotel. (The one where Geraldo got knocked off his feet when the hurricane was approaching) It might not even be a fossil, but just some sort of weird bone. Thanks in advance.

(sorry for the poor photos, but I used my work camera, and it's not too good at close ups)

post-40-1224204454_thumb.jpg

post-40-1224204467_thumb.jpg

post-40-1224204476_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

That's a very nice section (chevron) from an Aetobatis, Eagle Ray, mouthplate. I usually just find fragments nowhere near as nice as that one. It looks fossilized to me because of the color but without actually seeing it in person I can't be sure. Have you done the "clink test"? If you (gently) tap it with a piece of metal or another fossil it should sound sort of like ceramic.

Yes I tapped it against my teeth. (I'm sure the ocean was clean down there) It seems fossilized, but I know new teeth can clink also. I haven't tried the burn test yet, Thought I'd see what some on here had to say first.

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

It looks fossilized, but we all know how much that's worth. Out of a dozen pounds of those, I've only ever found a couple single bars as nice as that (all Potomac River Miocene). Leave it to you to add a new species to your collection with the finest specimen around!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll bring it Saturday to show all you TX guys, to verify exactly what it is.

-Aldo Leopold

Yah, I was totally laughing when Gerlado got his face sandblasted! I'm so nice.....honest.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.