Its Raining Dimetrodons:

dinodigger

Hey Gang,

Just got out to our Permian Research site up in North Texas; we typically have a two to three week November trip up there to continue our ongoing research on our favorite finbacks, the Dimetrodons, along with their amphibian and reptile friends. Today consisted of major digging and site cleaning to get ready for the next two weeks. The highlight of today, and a highly unexpected event, was the discovery of a new Dimetrodon skeleton. Our goal for this trip was to recover the tail of "Willy", the magnificent complete, articulated Dimetrodon from last year. As I was sweeping off the site, I noticed a vertebrae sticking out of the wall. Three hours later I have an articulated spinal column, with attached neural spines and ribs. Yikes. Totally not expecting that one. So far we have about ten verts exposed, and heading into the wall. Will uncover tomorrow and hopefully see the skull soon. The verts are in wonderful shape, uncrushed. The specimen is probably a Loomisi, young adult judging by the length of the centrums. Most exposed are lumbar, a hint of sacrals at the terminating end. Also a hint of cervical ribs in the wall, so hoping to see the cervicals start as well. Neural spines are all un-chewed which is a good sign; most of the time we have ribs and spines, they've been nibbled. MMMMMMM. Dimetrodon ribs. Yum. Ribs are all in fine shape as well, and again un-chewed. Judging by the great articulation, there should be no reason why the skull is not at the buried end. Verts are facing the right direction. Saw a hint of ilium as well but not articulated. I'd half expect it to float a bit, as seen in other skeletons we've worked on.

In other news...

Buddy found the beginnings of another articulated Dimetrodon about ten meters to the north; mostly ribs and neural spines, from a level about a hundred cm higher. This plane has historically had many many chewed bones. His are chewed as well. Anxious to see what he sees tomorrow. Chances of finding some long bones and skull bones are good. Not great articulation, but good specimens.

Thirty meters to the south are five dimetrodon skeletons in varying conditions. Neo is a baby, somewhat articulated. Still need a skull and feet for her. King Richard is two hundred centimeters to the south and two hundred higher. Many many many bones. Too many. Scary.... big big guy. 300 mm humeri and large maxillas. Probably two to three individuals there, but we'll say one for sure for now. "Bride" is on the other side of the hill. Big girl.

So we have a few individuals we're working on. I'm too tired to work on photos and get 'em posted so I'll have them for the next post tomorrow; I'll have a name for our new girl too.

Going to sleep now... up at 5AM, breakfast, then digging..................digging.............digging.............

Chris

Edited by dinodigger

Very interesting post can't wait until tomorrow for pictures and update, kinda like waiting for the next episode of the Walking Dead,hurry-hurry-hurry, gotta see what happens next----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is astonishing! With this sample size, and the accrued taphonomic information from this layered bone bed, it really is a gold mine for reconstructing their life & times.

Is anyone doing paleomagnetic sampling from the stratum? Probably a futile effort, but if you could get results which might pin down the rate(s) of sedimentation....

This is exciting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How exciting! That is a real grave site there.. Look forward to updates on

your adventure! :):popcorn: And images..

Welcome to the forum!

What a fascinating, exciting account you have provided. Please continue as time allows.

Dimetrodon was among the plastic "dinosaurs" of my childhood. Even if I had not had the garishly illustrated "dinosaur" book, I could have identified him. His name was embossed on his grey plastic tail, along with his size - "ten feet." He was a favorite then. Today, he still evokes a delightful sense of wonder.

Good luck in all of your recovery efforts.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Dimetrodon was among the plastic "dinosaurs" of my childhood. Even if I had not had the garishly illustrated "dinosaur" book, I could have identified him. His name was embossed on his grey plastic tail, along with his size - "ten feet." He was a favorite then. Today, he still evokes a delightful sense of wonder.

Dimetrodon is an "honorary" dinosaur. :)

Context is critical.

Chris, there are so many bones around your site that y'all must have to tip-toe around. :D Looking forward to photos of your continued fieldwork.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yep Missourian, but for kids in the '50s he was lumped in with ole Brontosaurus. I think my set even included a saber-toothed tiger and a couple of "cave-men." Not very accurate on a number of levels, but still magical in the sense it gave root to a life long interest. Who could ask for a better outcome from a toy?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

What sort of matrix are the bones emerging from? When you say "digging" it suggests soil of some kind instead of rock. I've heard of them found in red beds but I don't know if that means clay or what.

Awesome site! I've never heard about the neural spines having tooth marks, that's really interesting. Any photos or papers on that?

All of my permian finds came out of the Richard Spur quarry. They were in granite caves that infilled with shale. I was lucky enough to find 18 skulls, 6 complete skeletons and thousands of individual bones in a space of 8 hours. All the material now resides in the Sam Noble museum, including my namesake, Acheloma dunni, the apex predator of the permian. 4 other new genus/species are in description as we speak (type?).

God, I love the permian reptiles! I can't wait to see pictures!

Edited by Boneman007