Just Wondering

samsiam

They command, and get, big bucks, so in that sense they are 'worth' that much.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would say it depends on how badly you want a gem quality ammonite fossil.

As the link Auspex provided suggests, they are classified as gemstones, and as such, they command gemstone prices.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's one thing to see these ammonites on a computer and quite another when you see them in person. I can't think of a more colorful fossil then these amazing ammonites.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

If I had(ha) big money to spend on fossils one of these would be in the top five things to purchase. They truly are spectacular when seen in person. The picture above makes it look rather garish and doesn't capture the movement you get from the iridescence.

they even look amazing on photo - can't imagin myself to see them irl - incredible!

I what way would those canadian ammolite ammo's resemble these clay ammo from France? Except for being 100xmore pretty? Would that be the same ammolite on these French ones?

post-10068-0-24413500-1353402871_thumb.jpg

post-10068-0-74488700-1353402951_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

trust me...they are absolutely spectacular in hand! i have a couple of them.

Well, seems opinion is uniform across the board.

The reason i asked the original question is that my son and I had just started collecting a few of these ammonites.

We are not gem or fossil experts, we both just loved the look of them, the idea of how old they are and that they swam with the dinosaurs and that the earth had taken care of them for all these millions of years and now we had one in our hands to take care of for our own relative short life time.

On top of all of that was the brilliant colours popping up as you moved it amongst the sunlight. The first time I saw a small ammonite I had to buy one, actually bought one for my son and one for my daughter, only small red ones but with lovely colour to the centre. From that one on we shopped around and bought a few more, all small ones and not expensive.

But a shop we visited a few times had 4 or 5 of these canadian gem quality ammonites and they were spectacular...but the price....spectacular also.

Anyway, a few days ago, after a few months going by and lots of research on the internet and procrastination....we bought one.

I believe, or more hope, the opportunity of the right place, right time and right price all came up at once and I was offered one at a very good price, from what i can gather and a significant discount from the shop price.

I has a nice shape, but not the perfect ammonite shape, but has nice colour and more importantly it has all 7 colours, including quite a reasonable amount of purple.

So it is sitting here next to me on my desk. I shall try to take a photo or 2 and post when the sun comes out.

It was a busy weekend, we found several fossils and bought 6 in all, plus a couple of small antique chinese hand painted bottles and a bluish grey megalodon tooth which is 4 and a half inches.

So while we are not serious enthusiasts in the true sense, we still appreciate their beauty and the mystery of where they come from.

"Feed your fascination" :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

"Feed your fascination" :)

Nice logical thought.

My son is only 10yo, but we both discussed it and had the same thought pattern in the end....'screw it, just get it'

• 2 weeks later...

I think the first one would fetch four figures if it is sufficiently large and really looks like that in person. :o

Yours is really nice too. The one in the last pic has a nice balance of colors and suture visibility.

In any case, it's heartbreaking to think about how beautiful ammonite shells must have been when they were 'new'.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

I think the first one would fetch four figures if it is sufficiently large and really looks like that in person. :o

Yours is really nice too. The one in the last pic has a nice balance of colors and suture visibility.

In any case, it's heartbreaking to think about how beautiful ammonite shells must have been when they were 'new'.

The first one in the OP...if the same one, but at least looks very similar...sold for $150k supposedly...so6 figures in fact.

I thought when they were 'new' they looked just like any other shells, particularly the nautilus variety...it is the millions of years of processing that has created these 'new' colours.

Very nice acquisitions! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing them. Beautiful!

Thanks, photos do not do them justice as mentioned.

The Canadian sits on my desk next to me, supposed to be good luck and good fortune etc....lets see.

The Canadian sits on my desk next to me, supposed to be good luck and good fortune etc....lets see.

It must work; you are lucky to have it! :)

• 1 month later...

It must work; you are lucky to have it! :)

Well....some strange things have been happening....the trail of luck and its part is hard to follow in those tracks, all over the place...so who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....some strange things have been happening....the trail of luck and its part is hard to follow in those tracks, all over the place...so who knows.

Hehe I got myself some Ammolites from what I believe to be exactly the same shop as you got from

and I have been having a streak of lucky happenings to me lately. So it must be working :)

Is

The bottom ammonite in your post # 12 is a beauty, is it a canadian ammonite? That one in the second picture is a beauty and looks like an Alberta fossil.

Thanks

Ed

Edited by Mr_ed

• 1 month later...

Is

The bottom ammonite in your post # 12 is a beauty, is it a canadian ammonite? That one in the second picture is a beauty and looks like an Alberta fossil.

Thanks

Ed

Hi, no the bottom one is a Madagascar one....has really nice deep red colour.

Yes, the first and second pic are Canadian.

Hehe I got myself some Ammolites from what I believe to be exactly the same shop as you got from

and I have been having a streak of lucky happenings to me lately. So it must be working :)

Hi, funny enough I was in there on Friday and he mentioned you mentioning this forum and my photos.

He talked me into buying 2 more just today......I shall put up a photo when I get a chance to take one. Todays acquisition is really nice, I like it a lot.

Cheers.