1 In A 1000 Echinoderm

PRK

Back in the1980s, in the santa monica mtns, calif, I collected many fossils, inc miocene dendrasters. Here are a couple nice individuals I gathered. There was just one small ledge of these orange beauties where all the specimens were this lovely orange color. Because of their color and size, I dubed the small area they were found "pumpkin ridge". One is polished and one i left natural.

The second pic Is quite interesting and so, deserves a short explanation. while I was breaking/splitting the matrix, the sand dollar split, leaving the top portion of the dendraster on one side of the rock and the bottom portion on the other. This particular sand dollar had not filled completely with sediment leaving a small hollow within it. Within this hollow grew small perfect blades of calcite crystals.

And for those of you that have not seen the "dendraster" post below ill repost this "geode fossil" piece there is an explanation with the other post. These are all from the same general area

Ok I just tried to reload that other photo, but TOO BIG so have a look below if your int

Edited by PRK

PRK,

Are those from the Kettleman Hills? A lot of great stuff out there.

Back in the1980s, in calif, I collected many fossils, inc miocene dendrasters. Here are a couple nice individuals I gathered. There was just one small ledge of these orange beauties where all the specimens were this lovely orange color. Because of their color and size, I dubed the small area they were found "pumpkin ridge". One is polished and one i left natural.

The second pic Is quite interesting and so, deserves a short explanation. while I was breaking/splitting the matrix, the sand dollar split, leaving the top portion of the dendraster on one side of the rock and the bottom portion on the other. This particular sand dollar had not filled completely with sediment leaving a small hollow within it. Within this hollow grew small perfect blades of calcite crystals.

And for those of you that have not seen the "dendraster" post below ill repost this "internal concretion" piece there is an explanation with the other post. These are all from the same general area

Ok I just tried to reload that other photo, but TOO BIG so have a look below if your int

• 2 weeks later...

Well then---how are you all at identifying echinoids. I collected this miocene specimen in California many years ago, and had it for several years before being identified.

Is it Vaquerosella norrisi?

• 1 month later...

Is it Vaquerosella norrisi?

Why did you delete your post from November 23? Here's your picture from that post that I was trying to identify as Vaquerosella for you:

post-2301-0-42726300-1357042182.jpg

Deleting posts from these threads confuses people who try to look up information on these fossils.

• 4 weeks later...

PRK,

Posting a link is just like copying and pasteing:

Go to the site/page you want the link to go and then go up to the address window and click once within the address and the whole address - even a really long one - will highlight for you. If you have a PC, hold down your "CTRL" key and click on the letter "c" (if you have a Mac, you hold down the command key, but you still click on "c"). You have now copied the address.

Then, go to the site/page that you want the link to appear in. You open a reply and wherever you want to add the link in that reply, you set your cursor and then hold down the "CTRL" key and click on the letter "v" (if you have a Mac, you hold down the command key, but you still click on "v"). Your link should appear in your reply where you had the cursor. After you post, it should highlight. Even if the link doesn't highlight, someone can still copy it and paste it in the address window to go to the destination.

Jess

Since i dont know how to post a"link" heres more micro crystals