Forboding Quarry Hunt

Bev

This quarry is probably within a mile (as the crow flies, NE) of the one I have been hunting all summer. I was thinking it was of the Prosser member of the Galena Formation, Ordovician--But Caleb will probably correct me :)

For me it was very forboding and I will not go back there--scared. I normally love quarries, but not this one.

post-9628-0-85756000-1353368302_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-55578700-1353368326_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-58925200-1353368365_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-54084500-1353368385_thumb.jpg

These photos are in sequence going around the quarry. More photos below, ran out of room.

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-09932800-1353368529_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-31115000-1353368566_thumb.jpg

Looking up.

Lordy, I wouldn't want to look down! I'm scared of heights...

All I found here were some nice brachipod slabs. However, I wasn't going to get too close to the walls. But I didn't see anything anyways.

post-9628-0-98137900-1353368631_thumb.jpg

I felt a bit better in the debris pile area, and maybe I might revisit that, but no time soon! I did find a very nice, large (fat), piece of crinoid stem. But it was muddy and I took a tumble down a pile. Two strokes and I am not so handy on my feet anymore. Actually, just grateful I can do what I do do anymore :) There were some rocks that appeared to be the dolomite from the Stewartville layer in this area, but very little and no gastropods that I could find.

So, we will let Caleb tell us where I was in the Galena Formation :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Very nice field collecting site shots!! I enjoy seeing all the goodies TFF members find, but I really enjoy the site and terrain! Thanks!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I catch your vibes about the place, just through the photos....stark. I'd stay away from the high walls too; sometimes Mr. Gravity is not your friend :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I catch your vibes about the place, just through the photos....stark. I'd stay away from the high walls too; sometimes Mr. Gravity is not your friend :o

Ditto! Looks like it might have some goodies thought!

I too enjoy seeing the site shots! Hence I love the Fossil Hunting Trips. I will be posting finds... :) Waiting for Caleb to weigh in so that I don't mislead people again :)

It is strange how 1 mile can make such a difference! There is so much chert in this quarry, so white and stark.

The other one I can just walk along and always find at least one Maclurite and usually a lot of the spong corals without even tryng. Even though it is harder to walk because it is muddier, it just is friendly, warm, inviting, a happy place--all golden colored. This one just nothing but brachs and the crinoid stem. And fear...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

A SINCERE THANK YOU to Caleb!

Okay, it is the Prosser member of the Galena Formation--confirmed by Caleb :)

So, I will be posting specimens I have found but not identified.

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Thank you so much Fossilcrazy! I thought maybe I'm crazy being scared like I was and no one else ever feels that way about a place. Nice to know I am not alone :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

To me the place doesn't look scary from the pics, I think the only thing that would keep me out despite promise of fossils is needing permission and not getting it! I guess if there were any risk of falling rock you could get a helmet and shoulder pads.. You should see the exposures on the river near me...