Sharing Some Bug's, Crab's, Shark's, Ammo's & More

cowsharks

I tend to take a bunch of pics of the various fossils, rocks, minerals, etc that folks bring to the club meetings I attend (MGS and AFF). It dawned on me that there's a lot of pics that some of you might enjoy seeing as well. Sorry some pics don't have scales for size, I usually forget to place a coin or something in the pic for scale. Some of the bugs were prepped by a famous prep guy (Carrol?). None of these fossils are mine, except for the seal jaw with teeth. Some of the specimens are things found by club members, other specimens were purchased or traded for. Lots of neat stuff .... check out the huge internal mold to a snail shell (?) - that thing is from Italy and 2ft tall!

Enjoy.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-40199400-1353696764_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-43430600-1353696767_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-90518000-1353696768_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-18711300-1353696778_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-68053600-1353696779_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-77474400-1353696781_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-30875700-1353696855_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-16373800-1353696857_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowsharks

Thanks cowshark, great pics, we really enjoy photos BTW where is that jaw from, and age? Looks like the hemi could possibly have been chewing on that seal !! Also, I can't quite figger what that tooth is on the right of your handful of marine mammal teeth?

Edited by PRK

Thanks cowshark, great pics, we really enjoy photos BTW where is that jaw from, and age? Looks like the hemi could possibly have been chewing on that seal !! Also, I can't quite figger what that tooth is on the right of your handful of marine mammal teeth?

The Seal jaw, not ID'd yet, is from the Calvert formation (Miocene) of MD (not Calvert CLiffs themselves though - a small stream in Calvert County).

That odd tooth (in the person's hand) with the terrific ornamentation came from Lee Creek. The person who this tooth belongs to said he was told it was a posterior tooth to some type of Dolphin. I don't know how accurate that is. I'd have to go back and check all the previous seasons on elasmo, but I think I recall seeing a tooth similar to this one on there one year. The other teeth in his hand are Seal molars and one large canine.

Daryl.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them. I always love seeing other's pics.

Those must be some impressive meetings.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

The best part of the meeting is what I call show and tell. This is where you walk around the room and talk to folks and check out the neat stuff they brought in to "show". We have a good mixture of collectors that bring in rocks/minerals, artifacts, and fossils of all sorts. We also have a few folks that sell fossils etc. and we also have a silent auction (MGS club) at each meeting. You can get some real bargains on some great stuff sometimes.

Daryl.

Daryl,

I have a tooth like that weird one (more worn than the one you show but it has cusps/serrations like it) from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, South Carolina so it may be a squalodont-like whale. Someone might have shown a similar tooth on the forum.

Seal stuff from that far back in time from North America (or anywhere) is not often seen.

Jess

The Seal jaw, not ID'd yet, is from the Calvert formation (Miocene) of MD (not Calvert CLiffs themselves though - a small stream in Calvert County).

That odd tooth (in the person's hand) with the terrific ornamentation came from Lee Creek. The person who this tooth belongs to said he was told it was a posterior tooth to some type of Dolphin. I don't know how accurate that is. I'd have to go back and check all the previous seasons on elasmo, but I think I recall seeing a tooth similar to this one on there one year. The other teeth in his hand are Seal molars and one large canine.

Daryl.

Daryl,

I have a tooth like that weird one (more worn than the one you show but it has cusps/serrations like it) from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, South Carolina so it may be a squalodont-like whale. Someone might have shown a similar tooth on the forum.

Seal stuff from that far back in time from North America (or anywhere) is not often seen.

Jess

Jess, I believe that specimen was found back in the early 80's. I went back and checked all the trip reports from elasmo and didn't see any pics of the same tooth. There was one whale/cetacean tooth that superficially resembled this smaller specimen though.

This specimen looks to be about 1" long.

post-2077-0-10984300-1353732655_thumb.jpg

Daryl,

I looked in the fourth Lee Creek volume but didn't see anything like it. Maybe Bobby will recognize it (something similar from New Zealand?).

Jess

Jess, I believe that specimen was found back in the early 80's. I went back and checked all the trip reports from elasmo and didn't see any pics of the same tooth. There was one whale/cetacean tooth that superficially resembled this smaller specimen though.

There was a similar specimen discussed here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/24963-my-angustidens-and-whaleporpoise-teeth/

Fantastic....Looks like a great meeting... I'm VERY impressed with the french Coroniceras... I think Nala should certainly get on the case of those....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

There was a similar specimen discussed here: http://www.thefossil...porpoise-teeth/

Al Dente, thank so much for that link - that's the exact type of discussion I was looking for. You even found the tooth on elasmo that I thought was there but looked over it in my search late alst nigh; thanks again. You seem to have a plethora of resources. I need to track down that Kellog reference as well that you sited in that thread.

I have hundreds of "porpoise/dolphin" teeth from Calvert Cliffs, of all shapes and sizes, but not a single one like this peculiar tooth. Now have have a new tooth to add to my list of "must finds".

Exciting stuff!

Daryl.

Fantastic....Looks like a great meeting... I'm VERY impressed with the french Coroniceras... I think Nala should certainly get on the case of those....

The person that the large Coroneceras belongs to also owns that large Cerithium internal mold. He brought back both of those from Europe last year in his luggage; both pieces made it through security and customs without question or damage. Amazing.

Daryl.

Very nice collection Cowsharks. :wub: .

Thanks, these aren't mine, but I wish several of them were.

It's nice that the clubs I belong to have members that collect fossils other than sharks teeth, which is my main passion. Being exposed to these other things helps to broaden my horizon and learn lots of new things that I otherwise wouldn't be exposed to. In addition to the fossils and other specimens, there quite an eclectic group of people with varying backgrounds, education, and experience levels; everything from newbies to PhD's working in local museums etc.

Daryl.

Thanks for sharing, Daryl. I've lately been deliberating on whether to join the local rockhound club for the same reasons. I was a member up to about 10-12 years ago then quit.

Thanks for sharing, Daryl. I've lately been deliberating on whether to join the local rockhound club for the same reasons. I was a member up to about 10-12 years ago then quit.

One of the clubs I belong to, the Maryland Geological Society (MGS: www.ecphora.net/mgs) has about 150 members, and some are located "worldwide". One reason for folks that live so far away to join is to get the club newsletter, which has interesting articles written by club members, trip reports, etc. So even though some folks never attend a single meeting, sometimes joining a fossil/rock/mineral club (or whatever) is sometimes worth it just to be able to get their newsletter. I think some clubs even have online resources (newsletters, photo galleries, etc) that only their members are allowed to access. Other benefits include being able to go on club sponsored field trips. And if your lucky enough to attend meetings like I am, you get to meet neat folks, see cool fossils, and show off your recent finds.

vr,

Daryl.