See Uk From France

Fitch1979

I can't thank you enough for posting these, what a nice picture of those famous White Cliffs of Dover. Recently traded for some echinoids from Dover, you can pick up a lot of material there. And nice pyrite ammonites by the way! Is that the French version of the Gault Clay at Fokestone?

Regards,

yup thomas .. thats's the cliffs :) I allways imagin myself what if C. Cesaer stood there for the first time.. he would have thought 'snarge, still more land to conquer overthere'

And yes, these come from the clay (not all are pyritised) - such a variety of species inthere. The chalk cliffs are a little younger and have quite some nice species as well. Larger too :)

You ever went hunting on Folkstone? I've got a friend sometimes going overthere.

Excellant! Thank you for sharing. The pictures of the cliffs are beautiful.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Nice finds! I enjoy the pictures of local terrain and collecting sites just as much as the fossils. Thanks!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

WOW, How long does it take to collect that many ammonites from that area?

BTW Thanks for posting the Dover Cliffs pic, I have not seen that particular view anywhere until now. (Shocking amount of smog, but whatever!)

WOW, How long does it take to collect that many ammonites from that area?

BTW Thanks for posting the Dover Cliffs pic, I have not seen that particular view anywhere until now. (Shocking amount of smog, but whatever!)

Success in collecting fossils at this site varies a little towards few parameters:

a/ time in year (everyone goes out searching in summer and with calm weather there is less erosion)

b/ your knowlegde of the site (and the fossils), like some weeks ago there was 200 ppl looking (schools, universities) for fossils there and I still believe I found more in 1/2 day then them all together one day

c/ a healthy dose of persistency and concentration (not as in you-have-to-behave-asocial-in-the-field) :)

d/ luck, after all :)

These 2 plates were collected at least in 5-6 times searching. What is actually not a bad result. Ofcourse there are those superdays and those horrible fossil-absent days too :) :)

The smog I think you refer to is the middle darkish area on the picture in the cliff at the horizon? Thats actually because the cliffs are lower there and you can see the hill's surface there: grass. Its not smog :) If its a rainy/smoggy day, you can't see the other side (= UK)

Yesterday morning it happened I arrived there still dark in the moring - and you could see all the lights at the English Coast .. quite nice !