Fossilized Sea Shell .... Input Appreciated.

bulletooth

Hello everybody,

My father gave me two of these fossilized sea shells back in the early 90's. They were found in my hometown in Italy in the central south region.

Now, simply considering that my hometown stands at 1000+ meters above sea level has to suggest that these things are unbelievably old.

Still to this day I have no specific information on what they are, their age and even their worth. I figured this forum is full of people with expanded knowledge of fossils, so where better to ask than here. Would somebody be so kind to give me some information on these?? .... I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

The pictures below are of the smaller of the two I have.

IMG-1375.jpg

IMG-1374.jpg

IMG-1373.jpg

IMG-1372.jpg

IMG-1371.jpg

Well, they are oysters, which doesn't narrow down their age much... It should be possible to pin that down better if we knew the formation they came from; what is the name of the nearest town? There might be a geologic map that can be consulted.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They are oyster shells. Picture 1 is a large bottom shell and picture 2 most likely is a thinner top shell. The large oval mark on the inside of the shells (pic 2 and 3) is a muscle scar where the abductor muscle was one attached. Looks similar to the large Exogrya shells of the US Cret.

Here's a Geo map of Italy: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Well, they are oysters, which doesn't narrow down their age much... It should be possible to pin that down better if we knew the formation they came from; what is the name of the nearest town? There might be a geologic map that can be consulted.

Hi Auspex,

Thanks for getting back to my post.

The area where these "Oysters" were found was in the Avellino region. If you look at the map, following the latitude of Mount Vesuvius, it is about 100km east of there. Or area #15 refering to the bottom left of that Geo Map.

Any suggestions? ....

-John

If the strata they came from is #15 on the map, then they are Lower Pliocene, between 5.3 and 3.6 million years before present.

Someone here may know (or have references at hand to provide) the list of possible species from that area and time.