Dumpster Diving For Fossils

Just Bob

I was watching this video of Solutrean-Clovis finds in the Americas and almost cried when I saw this picture and heard the comments about it.

FF to 27:40

That is one dumpster I would not mind diving in.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

For those of you that live in NJ, DE, MD, Va and NC fast forward to 43:30 to get a idea where they dredge up Mastodon and Mammoth bones.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Thank you for posting this. I quietly lurk here and had to come on and comment. We live only 20 or so miles from Gwynn's Island Virginia. Is that where the museum he was talking about is?

Mathews Virginia (right next door) has some great hunting spots that aren't used too much. Bethel beach is owned by the Nature Conservancy and is very good for mega fauna fossils after a big storm. We found part of a ground sloth tooth there this past summer. Around 10 years ago a big group of artifacts were found at I believe New Haven beach. Now after seeing this video we've got to get back there and do some serious hunting!

I'll be watching your other videos soon!

It must be the same place. Very cool to live so close to such a place.

It was a interesting video. I don't really artifact hunt but I do come across them from time to time. After seeing this though I have a better idea of what to look for now.

Upton Sinclair

That was a really interesting video, thanks so much for posting. It was sad to see all those wasted fossils and lost science.

The part about the Mammoth and Mastodon fossils along the offshore river channels of the mid-atlantic coast was particularly fascinating.

• New Members

At least maybe now people will be more careful before they throw the trash out. Great video!

I would like to add my THANKS for the video as well!

It was fascinating!

And I too almost cried when I saw those dumpsters of artifacts and bones! I would think that even though this is not a well funded science that for the cost of a dumpster someone would buy them, dump them in piles that were tagged and allow people to sort through them and buy bones by the pound, a way to make money and potentially preserve history.

Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

It was my pleasure to post it.

What do think Bev, me and you can buy a couple dumpster fulls and ship them back to the states and sell them. We could be hundredaires! :P

Upton Sinclair

They could just dump the bones in a pile out back and put the word out on this forum. Eventually, the pile would disappear, and they wouldn't have to pay for a dumpster.

Context is critical.

• 1 month later...

Wow. I just came across this post and it was extremely moving. Not just the senseless dumping of fossils but also the oldest native artifacts being almost 20000 years old!!!! INCREDIBLE!! Thanks so much for posting!!

The link is broken - can you post a better link?

here:

As someone from Holland I have two comments:

1. Could someone give me the address of that dumpster??

2. There are numerous artifacts and other human tools and remains known from the Northsea bottom most of them Mesolithic I even posted some of my finds on this forum. I also know that lots of mammoth bones have been checked for human interference, but without very much result. This could be the reason that a dumpster filled with bone is thrown away. Although I am not sure if that's really the fact. Less interesting bones are sent to a museum to distribute among children. Furthermore, nobody here wants to throw away a nice artifact or priceless neanderthal bone. Believe me that they look at that before throwing that away!

Edited by sjaak

I had surgery on my shoulder which gave me quite a bit of time off last year, some of it I use to search YouTube for videos like the one I posted above. Another video that I found during my time off that I found particularly interesting is this one that was made by PBS in 2005 about an entire canyon of perfectly preserved 1000 year old Indian remains. Its called the Secret Canyon. I think if you liked the last video and haven't seen this one before you are really going to enjoy it. And at only 26 minutes its well worth the time to watch it.

It is almost unbelievable to think that in this day and age that something like this can still be out there.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=gQnbgEGek1c

A funny side note, the researchers found a bowl on the ground covering a human skull and mentioned it to the rancher who owned the property. They said to him that they think it was some kind of burial ritual. The rancher then preceded to tell them that he was the one who put the bowl there to protect the skull many many years ago. I guess you can't blame the researchers but you can see how fast wrong conclusions can be made.

Edited by Just Bob

Upton Sinclair