Fossils From Miocene Deposits Near Iquitos Peru Amazon River

Collosoma

This is what seems to me to be a rasping mouthpart of some sort most likely armored catfish?,

post-10556-0-25202600-1354118603_thumb.jpg

post-10556-0-01693900-1354118667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Collosoma

It is part of a 'bar' from the crushing dentition of a ray (the raspy part is the root). They are arranged in rows in the mouth of the ray.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is great! I have plenty more to come. Can I just post more photos by editing this one or should I make a new post completelypost-10556-0-14084800-1354119435_thumb.jpgpost-10556-0-58186200-1354119470_thumb.jpg

This was found exposed on a fast flowing riverbed in higher grounds, the marbling I believe is calcite although it has a yellowish tint to it when polished

Edited by Collosoma

...This was found exposed on a fast flowing riverbed in higher grounds, the marbling I believe is calcite although it has a yellowish tint to it when polished

Do I see correctly that this is 28 cm (about 11") long? My first thought was that it could be a coprolite, but is is very large...

I do not know what it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I have been told that it looks like a coprolite, that is the correct length . There was a lot of megafauna in this area

Tooth or seed?post-10556-0-72118400-1354120734_thumb.jpost-10556-0-85467200-1354120773_thumb.j

Is the age and environment of the deposit known?

As you may know the amazon basin deposits are a conglomerate of mixed eras due to the avulsive nature of its history, this was found with the above " coprolite" in a stream channel that is half way cut through the pevas formation. It is hard to say wether it was redeposited or it existed during the time of formation 22.5Ma-23.9Ma

Edited by Collosoma

The large specimen with the tapered "pinched" end also reminds me of a coprolite. As for the tooth/seed item, hard to see the surface, but it does look similar to the small croc teeth that I have - just the caps minus the root. Better pics of the surface might help.

Daryl.

...As for the tooth/seed item, hard to see the surface, but it does look similar to the small croc teeth that I have - just the caps minus the root...

Good eye; this seems a strong possibility.

This caiman tooth was found together with the rootless one in question and the ray dentition. Sorry about the blurryness of the second imagepost-10556-0-04233000-1354242294_thumb.jpgpost-10556-0-08872100-1354242338_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...