Polishing A Fossil.

Canadian Fossil

I've seen alot of fossils that have been polished. Dose this decrease the value of the fossil? What about if the rock has been chipped away from the fossil?

Scientifically, yes. Polishing alters the fossil from it's original state. For collectors, I guess it depends. While I like the look of polished ammonites, I likely wouldn't buy one. If I wasn't a collector, I might because they look so neat when cut in half, but they often cost more than "as found". Similar situation with dino bone. An otherwise boring and unappealing frament of bone can be polished and potentially worth more if it polishes up nice. As a collector, I'd rather have a complete unaltered bone, even if it doesn't have the same pizzazz. Welcome to the forum -where in Ontario are you?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

A lot depends on the fossil, and what you value it for.

Polishing can enhance the decorative aspect, but it is destructive of details that are important to a scientific specimen. As for removing matrix, some kinds of fossils 'present' nicely when exposed in their original bed, and some are better when completely free. There are, in the end, no set rules, and each collector will have a different opinion. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you. I'm in Southern Ontario. I was wondering what matrix meant. I see it means in the original rock that it was found in right? Anyway as you can see I have alot to learn but look forward to learning from all of you.

Yes, matrix is the host rock

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I collect scientific specimens as Auspex says.. I prefer fossils that are as unaltered as possible and if necessary prepped (some matrix removed to expose more of the fossil, but not necessarily all) though an unprepped fossil is better than a crudely-prepped one (or a polished one). I bet most of us here will have similar preferences. I do have a few examples of cut/polished fossils but usually these were given to me - I'm with Northern Sharks, I don't go out of my way to buy them. It's fine to have a polished or cut one if there is another uncut/unpolished example of the same species to go alongside.

From what I've observed, it seems polishing is used to increase the saleability of an item. A good example of this is the amount of polished Megalodons I see on eBay. A lot of the Megs that wind up polished are ones that had significant portions of the tip broken off. The teeth are then ground down and polished to taper off at a "new point". It makes the tooth seem whole again and "shiny as new". As the others have said, I think polishing helps enhance the decorative aspect. Too much polishing though can really make fossils look "artificial".

Daryl.

I don't know whether polishing makes them more valuable, are people snapping up the polished teeth, ammonites, etc? I see loads of them on ebay but I for one am not buying them, I'm waiting patiently for the unpolished ones to show up and then when one does I have to compete with umpteen other bidders to get it.

I don't know whether polishing makes them more valuable, are people snapping up the polished teeth...

I think that most of the ones that get "the treatment" were valueless, hopelessly flawed (and thus unsalable) specimens to begin with. Converting them from leaverite to gas money with a minute on the buffing wheel makes sense (and cents). ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

...and in rare cases polishing brings out detail that is hard to see otherwise (I'm thinking petrified wood here) I would stay away from polishing 99.987% of fossils though.

...and in rare cases polishing brings out detail that is hard to see otherwise (I'm thinking petrified wood here)...

Oh, absolutely! Petwood, split ammonites, sectioned stromatolites...there's a long list of fossils that benefit! I refer above specifically to shark's teeth.

I can understand that, but I am thinking of this kind of thing:

post-4372-0-05034200-1355098019_thumb.jpg post-4372-0-90469300-1355098014_thumb.jpg

I guess they wouldn't do this if they didn't sell, but who's buying these? Not me. Sure there may be many unpolished examples of this type of ammo available but many of those have the aperture squared off with a saw, which ruins them IMHO.

If I could find more complete specimens being offered cheap I'll stop whining about the polished ones! (I don't just mean the Cleoniceras) It seems like most of the good natural specimens are sold by fossil dealers who recognize the quality and know that people will pay good money for good specimens so they charge 'good specimen' prices for them..

Edited by Wrangellian