Eurypterid Or Horn Coral?

DeafHunter1994

i found fossil on rock in buffalo. but i don't know what it.. what s it? let me know thanks =)

IMG_0901.jpg

Edited by DeafHunter1994

I don't know what it is, but I do not think it is horn coral. It seems "shelly", how long is it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wouldn't say it is a Eurypterid nor a horn coral. Looks interesting and different, always a good sign to collect it. Would agree with Auspex, it looks very "shelly." Nice.

Not like any eurypterid material I have ever seen.Does not look like a horn coral. Not sure about the size , in future you could put a coin or something down for reference.

nice, maybe something like the Platyceras newberryi

post-4577-0-47372500-1354498879_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I agree. It looks like a gastropod (snail) to me. In limestone (like this specimen) they tend to peel and split when the rock is broke open.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Nice gastropod Platyceras newberryi as Carm has suggested seem a potential good canidate. Definitely not eurypterid.

Edited by pleecan

Nice Pleecan, thought you might comment, as you collect Eurypterids and various shell based fossil. Really need to learn a lot more about this stuff.

Though the general form of the specimen is compatible with Platyceras, the circular structure at the lower (open) end reminds me of the septum of a cephalopod chamber, if it is cut at an angle.

araucaria1959

DeafHunter 1994,

I don't see "obvious" coral, snail and or specifically Platyceras.

The pictures are nice, however, there's nothing in the photos for scale.

It's understood these are field photos and the fossil was not collected.

However, it is very important to understand the true size.

Please post your guesstimate on the the length and width of the visible fossil.

Thanks

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

My guess on the size is that the specimen is about 1.5" long, but we'll wait to see if a size estimate can be provided by the owner.

Daryl.

Piece of gastropod?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks