What Could It Be...?

snakebite6769

I found this today, while walking the sugar run formation in Illinois. The pattern threw me for a loop so I had to grab it and ask if anyone could help identify it, maybe its just a hexagonal rock from nature, maybe not. I hope not.

post-8290-0-83394800-1354500329_thumb.jpg

Ruby and sapphire both have that shape. Not sure if they are found in your area but they are east of me in the mountains. I worked in a rock shop and had some that weighed over 1000 carats. Or it could be a chunk of quartz crystal. Clean it up or cut it with a lap saw to find out. :popcorn:

Here's an example of a sapphire from western North Carolina, it has that hexagonal shape.

post-7395-0-72122300-1354544884_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Here's an example of a sapphire from western North Carolina, it has that hexagonal shape.

post-7395-0-72122300-1354544884_thumb.jpg

WOW ...

I clicked on the picture without reading thinking Snakebite

posted a picture after cleaned-up ... Looks like a twin !!!

:D

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

WOW ...

I clicked on the picture without reading thinking Snakebite

posted a picture after cleaned-up ... Looks like a twin !!!

:D

LOL! I was going for that effect! :P I forgot to mention, corundum is also much heavier, you'll know if you got one of 'em. ;)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

The formation is dolomitic limestone originally deposited as calcite mud, is it not? Wouldn’t a more likely explanation be that it’s simply a hexagonal dolomite crystal which might also be a pseudomorph after calcite or aragonite? That’s what it looks like to me.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Looks like a piece of dolestone to me.Maybe a styolitic form?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

That's an interesting piece you've found, Rob. I see no signs of mineral, or geode here, so I'm going with just a piece of dolostone. Due to the poor preservation of the dolostone, and without any distinctive identifiable characteristics, it's almost impossible to say for sure what a lot of things are down there. Other than the shape of this piece I'm not seeing any other identifiable traits. So if it's organic in origin one may never know. :o Just my 2 cents. :D

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.