Am I Right By Saying Ammolite?!

stoll

"Ammolite" is a name for a biogenic gemstone composed of the fossilized aragonite shells of ammonites. I think the name may be loosely applied, even though it technically applies primarily to the opal-like shells mined by commercial interests in the northern Rocky Mountains.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

just that i have never seen sparkly red blue and yellow in any other stone before.

The UK is pretty famous for some of the most beautiful iridescent ammonite fossils: LINK

The effect is due to refraction of light through the altered shell layers. It's just that the term "ammolite" is an artificially restrictive invention.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If I am correct, ammolite was formed during the upper Cretaceous. The ammonite you have is Jurassic, so I would suggest the mineral replaced in your ammonite is not ammolite.

Regards,

Edited by Kosmoceras

stoll... You sometimes get dac's with sections of original shell preserved that shines with a blue hue to it... Its not common and I wish Ider kept one to show you... Out of the coupler thousand Ive picked up when I was swopping Dac's I only ever saw a couple with this layer on... Maybe its that your seeing...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

thanks for all the input every1. in a certain position in the light the colours appears. but when i look with my magnifying glasses i can see the colour better. it looks like an oil smudge if you know what i mean by that - the mineral are like layers of sheets and maybe sort of mirror effect

Ammolite was given “gemstone” status in 1981 but the name wasn’t trademarked and so the exclusive locality cannot be protected. Any material meeting the criteria could also be called ammolite. Essentially it’s an anomalous fossil aragonite pseudomorph with a particular signature of impurities creating characteristic iridescence. Material is also being surface collected in Utah and sold as ammolite for example.

The name was driven by the desire to exploit the US gem market, but essentially the same material is found at other worldwide locations and known by other names. In Europe there are deposits in the Austrian Tyrol where the material is known as Lumachelle, Helmintholite or in consolidated form as “Fire Marble”.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

painshill, thanks for the info on that. ive been looking at it all day, its doing my head in. haha.

i think its quiet amazing to see something like this. funny thing is i tried selling it on ebay at a starting bid of £ 0.99 and stated to be excavated your self ,you never know what you get. no 1 bought it haha .

i tried selling it on ebay at a starting bid of £ 0.99 and stated to be excavated your self ,you never know what you get. no 1 bought it haha .

It was the £8 postage that put people off, saw your listing. ;)

it was on the heavy side tho. i must sau p+p + ebay and paypal charges i dont think it was to bad. buyers dont seem to think about that tho lol :)