Nice Day For Plio-Pleistocene Gastros On The Central California Coast

archaeor

My buddy and I spent the day all over the Plio-Pleistocene Merced Formation. We didn't find anything to really write home about, but it was a nice December day to be out and about along the beach and to add to the collection. Found a few Gastropods, and a large sand dollar.

Rick

post-10087-0-84301800-1355033228_thumb.jpg

post-10087-0-59434900-1355033230_thumb.jpg

post-10087-0-58189300-1355033359_thumb.jpg

Cool finds and beautiful scenery - great trip. :)

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds but the view wasn't to shabby either----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice finds indeed, but I do love the West Coast. Breathtaking scenery there.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Those Merced Formation localities can be a real pain to get to - I don't think I've ever done so much walking, vertical and horizontal. It can be a pretty breathtaking locality, but it shocks the heck out of me that anybody decided to build houses on it. When it rains, the silty parts of the Merced Fm. just turn to yogurt.

Ever find any bones?

Hey Boesse, we were on the hunt for bones.... this was my first time out to this spot (I'm pretty sure you know what my motivation was...). Nope, no bones, but we did find spots where the terrestrial deposits were, but the seams were not prolific. We didn't get far enough south I believe, but there's always "better luck next time". :) "Yogurt" doesn't even come close to describing the deposits in this area...... :blink:

Regards, Rick

Hi Rick, thanks for the photos. Bringing back some fond memories of the California coast and the Merced formation and its stability issues...Looks like you found 3 nice Nassarius and 2 larger Polinices? gastropod species..cant remember the other one you have there on the lower left....And one of the sand dollars...Seems like Dendraster sticks in my brain as the genus...maybe not....

Thanks again! Regards, Chris

• 2 months later...

Nice finds and pictures. Love those gastropods! What a peacful landscape. Thanks for sharing.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".