Fern Fossils From Fleming, Ohio (Washington County)

acfd698

Here are some ferns I found, any idea on an actual name possibly? Professors at Marietta College dated these as Pennsylvanian when I spoke to them about a week ago.

post-10625-0-98523700-1355104602_thumb.jpg

It's hard to be certain, but all seem consistent with Pecopteris sp.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree than the exception that the little fern twig in the upper left corner of the third specimen looks more like Neuropteris than Pecopteris (but the largest farn piece on this specimen seems to be Pecopteris too).

araucaria1959

Pecopterus sounds like a good id to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

acfd698, Nice finds!....the one looks like a fairly good sized specimen....Curious to know if they are coming out of a creekbed--they look like they have been a little water worn/polished and have lost some of the fine leaf details/veination. Maybe just exposed to the elements for awhile??...Or are they coming fresh/directly out some rock outcrop/hillside/formation...Just curious....Thanks for sharing! Regards, Chris

Here is one of my pics from the shale area by the creek, The creek is about 4 ft away and is pretty much dry except for when it rains. The first fossil I found was in the creek bed itself(not in any pics above) just sitting there on top in plain site, thats the culprit that got me hooked on this now :-), but there are about 5 more of theseshale spots along the creek on 1 part on my property and I have found some more on the other side of my property as well but that looks like more hard clay and possibly some coal in there as well as I can see really dark rock as well. The Ferns above were found in the shale itself, these were just loose pieces just laying there from where it fell off, I am trying not to pull anything from the hanging shale just yet as the side could cave in, don't want to loose anything in those spots.

post-10625-0-03225500-1355241595_thumb.jpg

I also cleaned these up with a toothbrush as well, is it possible to scrub them to much? Hope I did'nt fade them to much, as they do look the same as when I pulled them just cleaner.

Here is one of my pics from the shale area by the creek, The creek is about 4 ft away and is pretty much dry except for when it rains. The first fossil I found was in the creek bed itself(not in any pics above) just sitting there on top in plain site, thats the culprit that got me hooked on this now :-), but there are about 5 more of theseshale spots along the creek on 1 part on my property and I have found some more on the other side of my property as well but that looks like more hard clay and possibly some coal in there as well as I can see really dark rock as well. The Ferns above were found in the shale itself, these were just loose pieces just laying there from where it fell off, I am trying not to pull anything from the hanging shale just yet as the side could cave in, don't want to loose anything in those spots.

Thanks for great photo of the outcrop!...yes, avoid the overhangs and think safety for you first and then the fossils 2nd! Gravity is there all of the time! I've had things above me beat me down the slope along with a few boot filling/surfing moments and then other times I've had unplanned trips down the slope where I won the race downhill. Most were very invigorating and a few were pretty stupid! Be safe!

Good luck exploring these sites--sounds like all kinds of possibilities with the varying rock types. Preservation can vary tremendously even in the same bed sometimes. Looking forward to seeing what other things you come up with. Regards, Chris .

lol, glad to see im not the only one who does downhill races or get knocked on the head once in a while :-) Any ideas on how to get the higher up stuff or to support those over hangs?

There is a nice site titled" W.Virginia Fossil plants" which is informative and will help with ID's. Also my album "Pennsylvanian" will help with some of the common id's. Two of the forum links regarding plants can ID about anything floral.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

lol, glad to see im not the only one who does downhill races or get knocked on the head once in a while :-) Any ideas on how to get the higher up stuff or to support those over hangs?

A couple more responses....yes a toothbrush can do some damage so you'll need to be the judge if you are removing any of the fossil..try areas around it if you arent sure..use a magnifying glass to check what might be happening.....you might just be fine.

As for the higher up stuff and overhangs...This is going to sound like a copout and it is....without being there personally and not knowing what you are facing that sounds dicey...My lawyer also suggests I not offer advice for removing overburden remotely!!!

On an even lighter note, I'm not sure if you are old enough, but the first picture that came to mind was Wile E. Coyote in one of his failed attempts at catching the Roadrunner. The image I have stuck in my mind is one of the many times where he's out in the barren southwest canyonlands somewhere devoid of all vegetation and he's looking up towards the sky after he's accidentally dislodged some overhang. His face becomes elongated horizontally, his ears go down to each side as he's sheepishly looking up anticipating being flattened once again by some huge boulder. Just before being squished he holds up a small sign saying 'Help'...

He always seemed to recover but I dont even want to see that kind of thing attempted in the real world....BE SAFE and if it means avoiding an outcrop that might be the best approach and only advice I should offer. Wish I could see it in person, it may be that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill! Regards, Chris