Popping Rocks

acfd698

How do I know when to pick a rock and try opening it to find a fossil? Is it all just a chance and luck or is there something that you can see? Most of the fossils i find are ferns and for the most part they are visible.

Popping rocks is always an adventure. After awhile experience will help you to recognize the ones that will contain fossils, but for me, I pop them all, you just never know.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Well, the most fundamental rule is to concentrate on sedimentary rocks, and to move on (or up or down) if diligent sampling suggests the horizon is barren. In your case, you are hunting a site known to be fossiliferous, so pay attention to the character of the rocks that most often yield fossils, and look for those characteristics.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...Character ie. color, weight, shape, surface texture and see-through glasses don't hurt either (see attached link to Mad Magazine) :D