How To Go On Big Digs?

acfd698

So now that I am getting into finding fossils and learning about what I find, how does one get to apply or go on any type of dig or group trip? I'm not a scientist just a retired firefighter who loves to learn and can offer my photography as help as well as my hard work diging as well.

Look into joining a fossil/mineral club in your area, or look into volunteering at the nearest Science/natural history museum.

These are good ways to get started.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Check out Passport in Time (http://www.passportintime.com). Although primarily archeological in scope, each year they do have a couple paleontological trips. They need volunteers to recover fossils on government land - your photography skills will come in very useful. You pay for your transportation to site, food and lodging (usually a tent but some trips have options for hotel or RV). You don't get to keep anything but you collect in prime spots in scenic areas and have the satisfaction of knowing you saved some fossils from oblivion of erosion. The fossils recovered are sent to Universities for future graduates to ponder. I did a trip in 2007 in SD and had a blast. We found numerous fish, possible turtle and a complete mosasaur along with numerous parts of other specimens.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I commend you on your willingness to volunteer your time and talents in pursuit of knowledge about your new passion. I hope to someday be able to do what you're talking about, but for now, it's the normal "...working for a paycheck to support my hobby..." routine.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

ooohh, an opportunity for some shameless self-promotion... You could join one of the wonderful dinosaur dig put on by the Tate Museum here in Wyoming. These trips are not ony educational, but also fun... and yours truly is the guy in charge. Below is the link, but we haven't figured out our schedule for 2013 yet, so the web site is stuck in 2012. After you click on the link you gotta click on the gray Activites" tab then on the gray "Tate Summer Digs" sub-tab.

http://www.caspercollege.edu/tate/index.html

I like to think that we qualify for "Big Digs"...

jpc