Quarry Access With Msha And Osha Training?

evren

Greetings! As a geology graduate student and an officer of UW-Milwaukee's paleontology club we are always trying to get quarry access to collect and learn in. We've gotten access to a couple small local quarry's (even got to see a blast!) but nothing that had very much action in terms of fossils. We are currently planning our spring break paleo bonanza trip in March but a lot of it is riding on whether or not we can get quarry access. Apart from the brief quarry office run downs I haven't had any formal quarry training.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience getting quarry access more easily if you have MSHA and/or OSHA certificates, and if so what should I expect these certificates to cost since I'm assuming most quarries pay for their employees training? Neither the main MSHA or OSHA web pages nor local training facility pages mention course fees.

Obviously this training wouldn't hurt the chances of getting access, but without knowing costs and course lengths I can't tell if it's worth it.

I'm not sure, but it certainly won't hurt to have these certificates. I do know of a few folks that had proof of some kind of insurance and notarized documents with the owners that they're not held liable in the event of an accident, injury or death. I think it ultimately lies with the owner of each property.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

you might have better chances if you promise the quarry some small headcount. more people increases chances of rules broken, injuries etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Also, I learned this as forklift operation safety trainer where I work.

"OSHA doesn't certify anything"

If you click on the link, then on 'Online OSHA Training' (to the left), there are fees mentioned.

Good luck with it. Not a bad idea! :) Any credentials will surely help!

http://www.oshacertification.us.com/

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

Some plots I've actually considered to get into quarries:

#1. Join a fossil club, say "hey guys, it'd be cool to check out Quarry X", and see if asking on behalf of the club increases the odds of having access granted.

#2. Start a 'fossil club' with a few fellow collectors, and then do #1.

#3. Contact the state geological survey and volunteer to map out the geology of a quadrangle containing the quarry(s). When I ask permission, I can say I need to examine the bedrock for a geologic map that will be published (it would be an open file report.... not that it would actually be published).

#4. Walk in and out just to see if anything is there.

So far, I haven't done most of these. :ninja::)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

I had MSHA training a few years ago and as I remember, it cost about $500.00 with a minimum class of 5 people. The quarry did not offer the class and we had some trouble finding someone to conduct the training. OSHA training just wasn’t recognized by the quarry we were working in (Holcim). There are a few quarries in my area (Midlothian TX) and as far as I know, Ashgrove is the only one that will allow fossil hunting. Holcim will allow NO ONE for ANY reason.

Your numbers one and two seem to me to have the best chances. #4 is an "Absolutely NOT". Trespassing will get you in a whole lot of trouble. Quarries take this very seriously.

Your numbers one and two seem to me to have the best chances. #4 is an "Absolutely NOT". Trespassing will get you in a whole lot of trouble. Quarries take this very seriously.

I have never and will never trespass into quarries. That's why I concocted #1 to #3. #4 was an attempt at humorous irony.

Context is critical.

Some plots I've actually considered to get into quarries:

#1. Join a fossil club, say "hey guys, it'd be cool to check out Quarry X", and see if asking on behalf of the club increases the odds of having access granted.

#2. Start a 'fossil club' with a few fellow collectors, and then do #1.

#3. Contact the state geological survey and volunteer to map out the geology of a quadrangle containing the quarry(s). When I ask permission, I can say I need to examine the bedrock for a geologic map that will be published (it would be an open file report.... not that it would actually be published).

#4. Walk in and out just to see if anything is there.

So far, I haven't done most of these. :ninja::)

1 and 2 have gotten us into the local quarries pretty easily. From what we've experienced access is either granted without any question or problem, or it's just no one for any reason situation. I've been wondering if this is because they assume we don't have any club insurance and/or saftey training.

Squalicorax and I have joked about getting jobs as quarry inspectors XD

or it's just no one for any reason situation. I've been wondering if this is because they assume we don't have any club insurance and/or saftey training.

I wish it was just a matter of signing a release form. It's not like we don't already get ourselves into dicey situations involving gravity and large rocks. :)

Context is critical.

"You don't have to worry about me; I have lots of experience with having rocks fall on me."

Yeah, that'll work....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"You don't have to worry about me; I have lots of experience with having rocks fall on me."

Yeah, that'll work....

Nope. Didn't work. :)

Context is critical.

I've had MSHA certification for 10 years--and not once has it ever given me a heads up for fossil collecting in any mine or quarry other than the one I was trained for. Although some parts of MSHA training are generic-like how shut off electricity or how high to put a ladder, other parts of the course are very site specific. Obviously, some of the regulations required for an open pit limestone mine wouldn't be very useful in an underground coal mine. A full MSHA course is 3-eight hour days of study and costs between $350 to $500. An 8 hour update is required every year to stay current. You can check your phone book for safety firms-they are usually the ones doing the training. Some mines/quarries do have their own instructors-because of the need for site specific training. Frankly, a well organized, self policing club is the way to go. Liability release forms are mostly a formality since one can't sign their human rights away. With times being what they are nowadays, too many people are just "sue happy" and these mines/quarries know that. Also, they dont want to take the chance of having someone possibly be the cause of a even a temporay shutdown for inspection. Times are just hard for fossil collectors all over the US.

Edited by mako-mama

While having these certifications wouldn't hurt, I wouldn't invest in getting these are unlikely to increase my chances of getting permission to get into quarries.

Thanks everyone you've been very helpful! I think we'll just keep trying what we've been trying, an organized club, with a small head count, politely asking permission.

Every March the Dayton Gem and Mineral Society provides us with MSHA training course......8 hours long. The cost is less than $500, but the club absorbs that. It is provided by someone from the state of Ohio.

Many of the quarries that the group visits require the training for entry. The field trips typically focus on gems/minerals but a good number are fossil focused.