Paleozoic Fossil Found In Slate

gposse

• New Members

This was split from a piece of slate. The 2 pieces would have folded together at the center (like a book). Found in upstate NY. I estimated it was during the Paleozoic era since that is when slate was formed but I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?

Large versions of images:

Image 1: View Larger

Image 2: View Larger

fossilsmall1.jpg

fossilsmall2.jpg

post-947-1224779049_thumb.jpg

post-947-1224779056_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Since slate is a metamorphic rock, any fossil that was in the original shale would most likely be deformed. If this was/is a fossil, then it is most likely deformed and will be hard to ID. It is not impossible for this to happen, but it is unusual. For your sake, I hope it is a fossil, cause that would be neat!

• New Members
Since slate is a metamorphic rock, any fossil that was in the original shale would most likely be deformed. If this was/is a fossil, then it is most likely deformed and will be hard to ID. It is not impossible for this to happen, but it is unusual. For your sake, I hope it is a fossil, cause that would be neat!

We find fossils in our rocks all the time. The last one we found was a 12" x 8" perfect small plant. It was completely undisturbed with very high details on the leaves and all stocks were in tact. We have also found trilobites and other fossils perfectly intact, never disturbed, which made me believe that this was also undisturbed :)

It would be a good idea to get out the geologic maps and identify the age of the exposure. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
I have found alot of very interesting things in slate.

Fossils??? I've seen some deformed fossils come from meta-shales, but I don't think that I've seen any from slate. I does happen, but it is extremely rare. I would love to see some pics?