Newcomer From Maryland

jbstedman

Greetings from Maryland. I am new to fossil collecting and trying to focus on shark teeth, though other kinds of fossils keep getting in the way. Just had the wonderful experience of joining Mark Renz on a hunt in Florida -- lots of teeth and so many other things.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Welcome to the forum, Mark is a great guide glad you enjoyed it post some pictures of your better fossils and don't forget to add yourself to the members map.

Being new to the hunt and not yet a member of a club, I have been spending my time at the usual public places on the Bay -- Bayfront, Breezy, Flag Ponds, Calvert, and Matoaka; as well as Purse State Park on the Potomac. Of course, we lose a number of these places once summer ends.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Welcome to the forum, JB!

I've often wondered if a boat would let a collector access places on the Bay and on the many smaller bays and rivers that feed Chesapeake Bay. I have read that there are many bluffs (cliffs) in the area which make the beach impossible to access from the land side.

What's the situation there on the Chesapeake?

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Welcome aboard. :) When you find time, we would appreciate photos. -- Thanks

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest bmorefossil
Being new to the hunt and not yet a member of a club, I have been spending my time at the usual public places on the Bay -- Bayfront, Breezy, Flag Ponds, Calvert, and Matoaka; as well as Purse State Park on the Potomac. Of course, we lose a number of these places once summer ends.

Have you had any luck? What kind of fossils do you have?

Guest bmorefossil

I've often wondered if a boat would let a collector access places on the Bay and on the many smaller bays and rivers that feed Chesapeake Bay. I have read that there are many bluffs (cliffs) in the area which make the beach impossible to access from the land side.

-------Harry Pristis

Where my father and i go we have to take a boat beacuse the marina blocks access from the north and from the south you would have to own a house to get there

-------Harry Pristis

Using a boat is certainly a way to gain access. A fundamental problem is that, with a very, very few exceptions, beaches in Maryland and Virginia are private. In Maryland, they are private to the high water mark, so anything below that can be used by the public. But that isn't much help if you have to cross private property to get to the beach from the land side in the first place. So, a boat would help.

jbstedman

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Welcome to the boards. Good to have another fang fan aboard. Looking forward to some pics.

post-77-1196126974_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Have you had any luck? What kind of fossils do you have?

Most of the teeth I find are on the small side, typically 1 inch or smaller. On the Bay side, I find a lot of snaggletooth, tiger (particularly contortus), and sand tiger teeth. On the Potomac side, my luck has been mostly limited to different varieties of sand tigers (once in awhile the sand tigers are in good shape so I can make an educated guess as to species). Of the non-shark variety, Purse is yielding a lot of large Turritella gastropod molds. I've attached a picture of some of what I found the last time at Purse. Forgive the quality of the picture.

Where do you hunt and what have you found?

post-100-1196218289_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

I sure wish I could see your fossils, JB, but I cannot fully open your very large image.

A portion of the image does open, but not the full image. Nor can I simply scroll left or right, up or down, to see the image -- the image just is too large for my seventeen-inch monitor.

When I make a SHQ or HQ image with my six megapixel camera, the resulting image is as large as 39 inches wide by 29 inches high. I have to reduce the image size with my editing software to even work with it conveniently.

You can produce excellent photos with the Standard Quality (SQ) setting on your camera. (See some of Worthy's or Mike Owens' recent posts.) If you are going to post images that are not edited, that is, images directly from your camera, SQ is the camera setting you should be using.

I'd like to see your pix, so I hope you can post some images that are accessible to all of us on the forum.

--------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

Thanks for the input. Here is a 640 x 480 pixel version. Please let me know how this version works.

post-100-1196264075_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Guest bmorefossil

my father and i take our boat to breezy point marina and go south from there to a section of cliff that has been very good to us. This is the stuff we found last weekend

post-17-1196456276_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! We just don't find those Hexanchiform teeth down here in Florida. I think these are deep-water sharks, and Florida offered shallow water.

----Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

You did well on that trip. Appears that gaining access to different parts of the cliffs by boat is clearly the way to go.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.