Ammonite Display Case

Herb

Here's an idea for displaying ammonites (or anything else reasonably small). I'm not am ammonite expert, so if you spot any ID issues, please PM me. Not totally done .

post-2520-0-11955400-1356839444_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-00294900-1356839482_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-74036000-1356839498_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think it looks great. Employing a square rather than rectangular frame might serve to further enhance the impact of the spiral layout. That's just a quibble, I would certainly be proud to display it as it is. It's creative approach that displays the individual and aggregate beauty of the specimens.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I see an ID problem.... it's not at my house! :P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yeah. What they all just said. :)

Visually appealing to say the least - I see what you did there.

I like how they look like one giant ammonite progressing from large to small.

Great job on that Herb.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everyone! They are mounted using craft double-sided tape squares. Should be OK for small ones but the larger ones, time will tell. I may have to wire them on. I did not make the case (Michaels Crafts) They didn't have a big enough square case, hence the rectangle. I'm glad someone caught the ammonite spiral theme, I didn't think it was that obvious. Didn't show up as well as I thought it would once I added the ID's.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Looks nice even with the labels obscuring the spiral arrangement - also I'd say if the upper left one is adjusted it might make it more obvious.

Great job Herb!

What is the background fabric? It almost looks like blue jean! The blue is a rich looking contrast to the stain on the wood and the color of the fossils. This display is meant to lay flat, correct?

Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bev, the fabric is a blue jean textured non streatchy knit. I had to re-do the display. (balance problems while hanging it). I replaced the knit with a black leather texture. I chamged the design to hang better and corrected some ID's ' I will post a new picture of the box as soon as I an done.

I must of missed this thread... It looks fantastic... Well done....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nicely done. Those deep shadow boxes from Michael's are very handy. You can also do an ID key and only have numbers or letters at each specimen. The key can then be placed in a lower corner or even left separate from the display. And you can print the numbers and key in a color-on-color that blends with the background material. They will then drop out for a distance.

There are brass "L" hooks (like cup hooks) that can be used to secure the bigger specimens. Maybe three per ammo.

Herb---Very nice display---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"