Something Lower Campanian

Artyom

I've found these specimens into Lower Campanian deposits on the north of Tzimlyanskoe water storage basin (the Don river).

post-10713-0-96257800-1356888558_thumb.jpg

What could it be?

Thanks!

My only opinion is that these are not natural. What use they may have had, I cannot even guess!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Each is uniform diameter,though not uniform to the others, intriguing . My spider sense tells me vascular plant ? But what do I know. I assume the holes run all the way through? Do they appear ceramic in nature? Though ceramic would have a more uniform color within and among the specimins. And again, to what use... and at that size?? Looking forward to the experts imput. ...Looking up Lower Camp stuffage, John

Edited by dragonsfly

Yes, the holes run through. An opposite side of specimens is the same as represented.

And I'm sure - these are natural and aren't ceramical.

Edited by Artyom

Very impressive! No clue at all!

Can you show us other fossils from that locality so that we can get some impressions of the biota. Just a rough overview of your collection from there?

Were the fossils collected in situ?

Any informations may help to solve this mystery. I'm very curious.

araucaria1959

Perhaps they are man-made stone beads or charms? IMO the holes appear to be drilled.

I am convinced that these have a human origin, but the tiny holes (all the way through) are beyond the capability of even the finest stone age craftsman, so I suspect they are industrial age. I just cannot fathom what purpose they would have served...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Have a look at some of the patterns in ceramic thermocouple insulators, they look a good match. I think an industrial or even post industrial origin is likely.

post-7497-0-49488500-1356928306_thumb.jpg

... sorry I couldn't find a better photo but you get the idea.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Were the fossils collected in situ?

They weren't:

post-10713-0-71037100-1356958227_thumb.jpg

I will prepare to celebrate the New Year soon, so I post known fossil fauna from that site later.

P.S. One more comment: there aren't large settlements near that area. The civilization is represented by a water-way (about 400 m away) and a railway (on the cliff, about 150 m away).

Hi Artyom,

I understand your skepticism. These types of insulators are used in heating elements. These insulators were often, and still are sometimes, made of porcelain. That, combined with early manufacturing could easily account for the range of colors. Here are some modern examples in porcelain that are the same hue as yours. Also, I think the railroad tracks nearby, 150 m is not very far especially when there is a cliff to roll down, could explain any human detritus you find. The railroad tracks here in the US are always scattered with bits and pieces of old debris. By the way, I would love to be proved wrong here so if anyone else has a different suggestion/idea please speak up.

post-7497-0-32786800-1356970403_thumb.jpg

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Have a look at some of the patterns in ceramic thermocouple insulators, they look a good match. I think an industrial or even post industrial origin is likely.

Thumbs up AgrilusHunter. I give up.

I've set one of these on fire - it burns like a gunpowder.

Just curious, when they started to produce such stuff?

HELLO FROM 2013!!!! :D :D :D :D

Happy New Year Artyom! I've still got a few hours to go ... I'll get there though :)

... I've set one of these on fire - it burns like a gunpowder ...

Curiouser and curiouser! I wouldn't think ceramic or porcelain would burn like that so maybe I'm wrong after all. Perhaps they are an earlier version of the same type of product but made out of some other material? Or maybe they are infused with something flammable? Quite a mystery! It's fun regardless so thanks for posting your finds. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere, it's just in hiding. :ninja:

-- Terry Pratchett

I've set one of these on fire - it burns like a gunpowder.

Well, at least you saved the extra money you would have spent on firecrackers :P Happy New Year!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Is the fire actually consuming the object, or is it more like it's burning-off entrained volatiles?

I'm leaning toward artifact. Does anyone know if something like this could be used for inserting individual threads and rolling it to make rope or some type of weaving? Just a guess?

Is the fire actually consuming the object, or is it more like it's burning-off entrained volatiles?

is the answer.

Happy New Year to all!