Peace River Teeth Id

peacefossil

Guest bmorefossil

the first one looks like a lower hemi but just to be sure, is the one end hollow if so it could be gator or whale, thats the problem with worn fossils its so hard to know what they are if you dont have it in front of you.

that other thing i dont know what it is, could be ear bone? from the last picture thats what it looks like but the other pictures make it look like something else

last one looks like a molar to me one of the roots is broke off.

I'm just not sure what from.

Very hard to get a decent picture thats why I posted a few different angles

last one looks like a molar to me one of the roots is broke off.

I'm just not sure what from.

Very hard to get a decent picture thats why I posted a few different angles

I wouldn't mind helping you identify your fossils -- I have spent hundreds of hours collecting in the Peace River, and have found many fossils there. I cannot help you with these fossils, though, because it takes too long to download your unedited images. Give some thought to these image-improvement suggestions:

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware at http://www.irfanview.com/ ).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent bulbs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly 500 KB (I routinely use 700 - 800 KB for my images now).

First posted

Sep 21 2007, 02:46 PM

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest bmorefossil
I wouldn't mind helping you identify your fossils -- I have spent hundreds of hours collecting in the Peace River, and have found many fossils there. I cannot help you with these fossils, though, because it takes too long to download your unedited images. Give some thought to these image-improvement suggestions:

the pictures are not that big, they come right up even on my phone

I did edit them from over 3000x2000 down to 1600. It is a point and shoot and doesn't have a good macro. i have a nice canon, but like to just point and shoot sometimes. The second one is very hard to capture. Wish I had access to a CT scanner :)

It looks like a tooth to me.

Having a flat top and curved underside with what should be two roots, one of which is worn away.

Yup... definitely a deer bone. Not 100% sure without looking it up but I believe it's the navicular.

That's impressive, Nate. I didn't think anyone else bothered with the names of these bones! LOL

Actually, the bone is a "cubo-navicular," a fused cuboid and navicular, as I understand it. These are two bones which are fused in the ankle of a deer but separate in other taxa such as camels.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest