Amazing Day At P.o.c (North Texas)

Raptordude1

So glad I decided to force myself out of bed on a very cold morning to go fossil hunting. We've had a little rain and some snow melt, but I wasn't expecting to find much at this high traffic area. I was discouraged when I saw foot prints along the creek and was worried the area had been picked over. I was begining to question my decision to make the trip until I found a large, complete cretodus tooth sitting on the surface. Fifteen minutes later I found another nice cretodus, which was bigger then the first. Later I found a third and a fourth cretodus, all complete and in good condition! Anyone who knows this area, knows that it is rare to find complete teeth, especially the larger ones. I also found a nice stone point and a decent reptile tooth (pliosaur, I think). Sorry the photos are not very high quality, they are taken with my phone.

post-7449-0-75310400-1357352152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raptordude1

tooth is round (no cutting edge) and has fine striations. Not great with the reptile teeth, so I'm guessing pliosaur?

post-7449-0-62917700-1357352384_thumb.jpg

everything from today......please note I did not find this quarter, it is for scale (always some smarty pants makes a comment)

post-7449-0-01184800-1357352454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raptordude1

Well done! I've been avoiding POC since my last time there in November when I came back with next to nothing. That place just keeps on giving. Someone on the forum once estimated there must have been many thousands of teeth found there over the years.

Well done! I've been avoiding POC since my last time there in November when I came back with next to nothing. That place just keeps on giving. Someone on the forum once estimated there must have been many thousands of teeth found there over the years.

I was surprised to find out how many people go through that area on a regular basis. Last time I was out there I had to work pretty hard and travel far to find a small handful of mediocre teeth. I'm still fairly new at collecting so it is still exciting to find anything.

major accomplishment considering the sea of humanity overflowing that site!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice teeth, anyone would be proud of a productive trip like yours, they don't always happen but still nice to get away from the house---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"