My First Fossil Whale Vertebra And A Big Shell

Fabienne

Hello everyone,

yesterday I found my first whale vertebra in the Antwerp region. It's not in very good condition but I still thought it was a nice find.

post-6809-0-81541800-1357480843_thumb.jpgpost-6809-0-16392000-1357480851_thumb.jpg

A couple of minutes later, I saw the tip of a Scaphella lamberti sticking out. I thought it would be a small one or a piece from a big one but I could barely get it out of the sand. Then I saw it was a big one and it was complete ! The shell measures 6.69 inch.

post-6809-0-67346800-1357480861_thumb.jpg

I didn't get to search any further on this site (harbour works) because there was a lot of police driving around, looking for trespassers and they already stopped to ask what I was doing even though I was searching outside of the fenced site.

So we drove a bit further to "my" sharktoothmountain where I found another 30 sharkteeth. I already collected 3038 sharkteeth on this mountain, since september 2011 but they have sown gras now and it's getting more and more difficult to find something. I'm hoping to find a new hunting site soon.

Kind regards, Fabienne

Wouahhhh ! Very nice finds ! The shell is .............. :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Very nice shell and I would keep that partial whale vertebrae too! Thank you for sharing!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Congrats on your nice finds ;)

Especially this shell is spectacular so for this unusually big size, as for its perfect condition!!! :wub:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Yeah, the Hoevenen haydays are over sad to say... but hey, the new dock and train projects look promising.

Just found two whale vertrebrea glued to each other just a few days back...

@ahuijsmans : Sadly enough, I never went to Hoevenen. My husband has had a back surgery a couple of years ago so digging was not an option. By the time his back was healed enough, we heard that Hoevenen was forbidden terrain. Then he found the "sharktooth mountain" for my birthday in 2011. But, like in Hoevenen, they have sown gras now. It's not forbidden to search there but you simply can't see very much with the gras. And digging is no option there because it's not sand but clay. I also found my whale vertebra where they're digging the new sluice but outside of the fences. Since they moved the road to the other side of the pit, I can't seem to find a way in or a spot to park my car without it being noticed. And I don't need another fine.

Kind regards, Fabienne

He Fabienne,

To continue our conversation in English ;)

I went in our christmas holiday but even then there was a guard at the entrance. A friendly bloke who told me he could let no one in. BUT... he himself said that they are NOT there on sundays so what I do on sundays is my business... ;)

So next time I'll visit will be on a sunday... you can park your car at the gate and just walk in :D

[edit] never hurts to help, hope all is well with your husband now, but hoevenen is still "allowed", just not truckloads of people.. there are left and right some holes you can find a nice layer... but keep it shhhttt[/edit]

Edited by ahuijsmans

@ahuijsmans : But even when you go on a sunday, isn't there any police surveillance ? And I know from another member from the Dutch forum that some are still searching in Hoevenen but as long as we're finding fossils on the left bank, I don't think we'll make it there. It's double the distance for us. (The forum members from the US can be laughing now because I'm talking about a 40min drive instead of a 20min drive) But thanks for the help. I'll try on a sunday next time.

@Nandomas : Here are some pictures of the mountain from May 2012

post-6809-0-99844500-1357641826_thumb.jpgpost-6809-0-63874300-1357641838_thumb.jpgpost-6809-0-84351000-1357641851_thumb.jpg

And here is one from a month ago. Excuse the poor quality but my husband took it with his cell phone. It's a picture of the double rainbow but below you can see that they leveled the sides and the top of the mountain and have sown gras.

post-6809-0-02921200-1357642115_thumb.jpg

If I were to go to the harbour works site on sunday, I'll take some pictures of the pit they dug for the new sluice. There are big and beautiful shells to be found there.

Kind regards, Fabienne