Abbey Wood, London

Adie_uk

Hi has anyone on here been to Abbey woods in London? I have heard its a public place and anyone can wander about and look for teeth (I think to a max of 2ft?) anyone know if this is right? also I hear that have been organised trips and they are better and they have dug down deeper? are they still doing them? any info would be great, thanks.

Wow.. you can look for teeth up to two feet long?!!!

Wow.. you can look for teeth up to two feet long?!!!

Obviously he means 2 feet of tooth, so that would be 24 one inch teeth or 12 two inchers :P

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids. Obviously he means sharks that had no more than 2 feet. Think about it, if they had more than two feet they wouldn't be sharks, but more like a croc or turtle or something. :)

Adie, sorry, never been to Abbey woods, but think that's where the Beatles first starting collecting. :)

Daryl.

...never been to Abbey woods, but think that's where the Beatles first starting collecting. :)

Oh, Gawd! :hearty-laugh:

Silly Yanks...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Abbey Wood is a nice location in the heart of London where you can find shark teeth and shells etc from the London Clay. I will get some pictures soon of my Abbey Wood teeth and shells I got in a trade. I hope to go there this year on the TRG trip, as you are only allowed to dig 2 feet down into the ground on your own and take back a max of 2kg of material, while on the trip they have a digger which gets to the fossil bed and from then on you can sift through it. On your own only going two foot down you are unlikely to find anything half decent as the fossil bed is deeper and in short supply, on a trip you can get over 200 shark teeth if lucky. If you google TRG and click on events, they have the 2013 trips up now.

My Link - Abbey Wood Info

My Link - Abbey Wood Fossils

Regards,

Hello Adie,

I do not know if you can just search in Abbey wood. What I do know is that there is an annually excavation in october. I've been there in 201,2011 and 2012

Go to the website :www.trg.org/ from "the tertiary recearch groep. There you can all info you want!

wally

well if there is a 2ft tooth it best be under 2kg other wise I wont be able to keep it! so looking like only 1 dig a year? will go look at the website now cheers for the info

Good luck... hope you don't hate us for the wiseguy answers.... :)

I of all people can take some funny Banta, but watch out could come back at ya some time :P

Had to laugh great minds think alike just read this post maby ill see you there.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

yes looks good and you will go home with a pocket of teeth, cant say that in may other places in the uk

Well, the shell bed is running out, they do not know how much is left, if any. So there are no guarantees.

Morning Thomas yes just been to the site and saw that, they just need a bigger digger to dig the woods up to find more of it! is a bit of a worry, also looking like it will be too expensive for me £24 to join, £20 me £25 wife £69, think I would rather find less teeth and go on a free day apparently rabbits dig the ground over a bit and you can still go home with a hand full of teeth. they should have at least 25 people going even if all members that's £2500 digger only £60/£100 let me come for free and I will dig ya hole! used to that from my old bottle digging days. in perspective you can go on a guided fossil walk at yaverland with an expert from dinosaur isle for about £4, each .

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adie, it is not necessary to be a member, though you must contact the dig director beforehand. I go on the TRG dig each year. If you imagine a scoured bit of beach with some shelly material being deposited in the scours, you have the shell bed at Abbey Wood. Dig to one side of the scour and you'll not find it. The digger and driver, water bowser and driver, are very costly. The water bowser is needed to replenish the water containers for wet sieving.

On the other hand, many shark/ray teeth can easily be found in the top 2 ft. Members/visitors leave unwanted specimens, some members, including myself, return each year and scatter their unwanted specimens for casual visitors to find.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.