Wöhr's December 2012 Texas Fossil Collecting Report

Uncle Siphuncle

This was a fun month with some variety. Jam packed with 270 photos of scenery, in situ shots, and lovingly prepped reliquiae.

- Central Texas Cretaceous  shark teeth

- West Texas Pleistocene* / Cretaceous 5 day solo gig....living days on end outside was a great way to spend my final days of bachelorhood

- South Texas - a few Cretaceous shark teeth

- North Texas - echinoids, ammonites, nautiloids, good times

My report can be viewed online at the Brazosport Museum website at the following link

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2012/FOSSIL%20COLLECTING%20REPORT%20December%202012.pdf

* Special thanks to Frank Garcia, Richard Hulbert, George Phillips and Harry Pristis for key input on Pleistocene specimen ID's. Please credit them for correct IDs, and me for any incorrect ones.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I don't know what was crazier...cooking that steak in your vehicle or being that close to that spider!!! Nice finds for December :).

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Hey dan... another fun reprt. That wierd bone in pix 122-124 looks like a chvron. Do any of the big Pleistocene beasties have chevrons? Mammoths, no, but how about Glyptotherium?

lyla, for me crazy = fun

and jp, i haven't looked up under enough glyp carapaces to answer that! but i too thought chevron when i picked it up.

Grüße,

and accolades to auspex for helping me make some sense of that partial bird femur.

Grüße,

Hi Dan, great fossils and report as usual! The steak photo is certainly one I'm going to remember! Regards, Chris

splurge on the best comestibles before hitting the ouback, i says. still, i found myself craving a glyptodont tenderloin...

Grüße,

...i found myself craving a glyptodont tenderloin...

I hear they can be stringy...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Dan. Fun again. Do you think your fiancee might want to go fossil hunting in her wedding dress? And you in tuxedo?

By the way, the old Lophas are now called Actinostreon, since they recently found out that they didn't exist way back then after all :blink:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Dan and Mrs Brett,

Congratulations on one more exemplary and fascinating report that looks like annual rather than monthly!!! :wub:

I'd like to be bitten by that millipede... Is it still there or you have got it with you??? :)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

lots of dead millipedes out there, didn't see one alive. i got up within a foot of the tarantula though, close enough to make her rear back at me. but ultimately i just let her walk away.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

roger that was a cool looking oyster, first i've found of that type... but admittedly i didn't try too hard to ID it.

Grüße,