Trip To The Mississippian Of Western Alabama

crinoid1

Hey guys! I just wanted to share a few of my latest finds with you all. Last weekend, I went out to one of my favorite fossil sites in Franklin County and found quite a few nice crinoids. The site is in the lower Bangor Limestone. It was super cold that day, but the fossils were totally worth it! I am also working on my photography. Any constructive criticism will be very much appreciated

Aphelecrinus mundus and a small Fifeocrinus (Sorry for the lack of scale. It's about 4 inches long)

post-1774-0-51991300-1357794748_thumb.jpg

Phanocrinus bellulus

post-1774-0-78862300-1357794814_thumb.jpg

Zeacrinites wortheni

post-1774-0-88291400-1357794831_thumb.jpg

I hope you enjoyed them!

- Crinoid1

Edit: I forgot to mention the scale is in centimeters.

Edited by crinoid1
  • I found this Informative 1

I like crinoids......

Very nice! Did you have to do a lot of prep on them or were they that clean out of the ground?

I just cleaned them with a toothbrush!

I like crinoids......

If you have not collected on the shores of Cedar Creek Lake yet, I suggest looking there.

Actually, that is where these were found. I take it you've collected there?

• I found this Informative 1

I like crinoids......

Nice ones... I wonder if this is the source of the ones being sold on ebay from the Bangor Ls. I have a few from there but naturally the location wasn't narrowed down that far...

Nice ones... I wonder if this is the source of the ones being sold on ebay from the Bangor Ls. I have a few from there but naturally the location wasn't narrowed down that far...

The ones being sold on ebay are probably from the lake, all except the crinoids titled Platycrinites. Those are more than likely from Huntsville, AL. If you have some fossils from the Bangor, I think I could tell you where they are from. The sites in this area are each very distinctive. Post a picture if you want, and I can at least give you some more specifics.

Edited by crinoid1

I like crinoids......

The ones being sold on ebay are probably from the lake, all except the crinoids titled Platycrinites. Those are more than likely from Huntsville, AL. If you have some fossils from the Bangor, I think I could tell you where they are from. The sites in this area are each very distinctive. Post a picture if you want, and I can at least give you some more specifics.

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I don't have any Platycrinites, they're all labeled either Phanocrinus, Dasciocrinus or Zeacrinus, along with some Archimedes, orthocones and whatnot. They hardly hold a candle to your finds but they were cheap.. I don't know if my pic is sufficient, the color may be a little off but maybe you can see the difference in color between them. Some have saw-cut edges obviously.

post-4372-0-62790100-1358724935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I don't have any Platycrinites, they're all labeled either Phanocrinus, Dasciocrinus or Zeacrinus, along with some Archimedes, orthocones and whatnot. They hardly hold a candle to your finds but they were cheap.. I don't know if my pic is sufficient, the color may be a little off but maybe you can see the difference in color between them. Some have saw-cut edges obviously.

They look to be from NW Alabama to me...and not Huntsville area. I see a conostichus trace fossil. In the bottom left next to the archimedes. An interesting trace fossil that is fairly abundant in NW AL at some locations.

Yup. It looks like they are mostly from Franklin County, and probably the lake. They look very similar to stuff I see out there. Nice stuff!

I like crinoids......

Thanks, it's a relief to hear that!

Yes, conostichus is the name the seller gave me for that one.

beautiful drawer plenty of nice fossils... I guess it could fit perfectly in my home :ninja:

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/