Halisaurus Mosasaur Prep Project

32fordboy

Okay, just a quick update. Sorry for the long delay...house stuff got in the way. I had to take the week off from housework to get anything done.

Several verts have been removed from the block (9, if I recall). The head portion of the block is now isolated from all the misc bits. The rear portion of the skull cap has been removed. It came out in pieces, as it wasn't in very good shape to begin with. It will be reassembled and fixed up later.

One thing that surprised me is the level of preservation. If a bone breaks, the detail inside is astonishing. In several places, the marrow is not packed with sediment, but it still hollow (with the "spiderweb" structures still visible). It's neat, but presents a problem by creating fragility. So, it is necessary to stabilize the bones as much as possible before removal from the matrix...which yields yet another problem...gluing the bone to the matrix. It can be difficult to prevent and requires a very delicate touch.

To give an idea of fragility, I'll try and get a good photo of the ear bone, which has been removed. It came out very nicely. When held up to a light, it is semi-translucent because it is so thin.

Pics to come...for real this time...probably tomorrow.

Nick

EDIT: Let's shoot for pics by Monday...apparently I am going to be snowed in with no internet...

Edited by 32fordboy

Hi Nick

Can't wait to see your progress :)

How do you stabilize the bones?

And remember when you see all the little loose peaces as a result of your prepwork and think "how is this to end"?

Stay patient and after reassembling work you will be suprised by the result! (positive result :) )

Peter

I'm using thin CA to stabilize pre-removal. Wet the matrix down, remove as much as possible, let dry, add just enough CA, remove from matrix. Of course, sometimes a bit of bone comes off an edge and it can't be saved, but that's no big deal. That's what epoxy putty is for.

Every now-and-then, the bones are so close to each other that one has to be removed in sections and reglued. It's not a practice I like, but sometimes we are left with no choice. Luckily, if the bone has a good coat of CA on the top, it glues back together seamlessly.

Initially, the idea was to keep this in the collecion, but I've been knocking around the idea of selling it post-prep to buy a pre-welded biplane fuselage (Hatz Bantam)...we'll have to wait and see, though. Very, very tough call.

Nick

post-741-0-95613600-1362936548_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-36257400-1362936569_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-22947900-1362936594_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-99190700-1362936647_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-05012100-1362936744_thumb.jpg

post-741-0-88234300-1362936805_thumb.jpg

Edited by 32fordboy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! As of the last post, nearly every single bone has been removed from the matrix. A deadline on a sculpt project has popped up, though, so progress has again come to a temporary halt on the Halisaurus.

The next step is to clean up each bone individually, then the reconstruction process can start.

Can't wait to see the final reconstruction. That bone in the second picture in your previous post looks like the quadrate. Really pretty, amazing how sometimes fragile bones can survive for such an immense period of time.

Also, at the bottom of the first page. You posted about that non bone thing. Since I didn't see any reactions to that post. Here are my thoughts.

As far as I know those are just concretions. I've seen plenty of those that were pretty much exactly the same in other Maastrichtian Morocco material. Looks like bone from the outside with a rough surface but the inside is completely smooth. I find that they're generally also much softer than the matrix or bone. I normally just remove it from my pieces, though none are as amazing as your Halisaurus piece.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Regarding the concretion thing, you may be right. It looks an awful lot like a coprolite, BUT there are others in the matrix (much smaller), that don't look like coprolites. These ones are much harder than the matrix and cause problems when they are close to a bone. So, at this point, I'd have to agree with you that they are concretions.

And it truly is amazing something so fragile can survive this long. The teeth, for the most part, came out clean. A few were very fragile and exploded, so they will have to be restored or composited. I'll probably sculpt one that looks very real, then make a mold and cast them in resin. The issue with the teeth arose due to their close proximity with each other and the fact that some had a tiny bit of stabilizer on them from a previous clean-prep.

That said, if anybody has some nice, solid Halisaurus teeth around (doubtful), I'd be an interested buyer.

Nick

Like many have said before me great post Nick, I am learning a lot.

I really liked how it looked in earlier photos when it was 2d and you had exposed the underside of a lot of the bones however I am sure that your persistence will pay off and you will be rewarded with a beautiful 3d Halisaurus!

Keep it up!

Hi Nick,

Like Lord Trilobite says those grey/white lumps are concretions and there can be a lot of them in the matrix.

When making a mold of one of the better tooth you have to know that there is a big possibility that you ruin the tooth.

I know cause it happened to me :(

Those teeth are so delicate, especially when they get in contact with moister.

If I had some "spare teeth" I would give you some, But I do not have them :)

As a matter of fact, I never have seen them for sale. Maybe you can ask some of the moroccan forummembers if they know?

(Snen or Jnoun and some others)

Keep up the good work and keep us informed :D

Peter

Down Under, it was a tough call indeed! Hopefully it all works out in the end.

Peter, thanks for the input. At this point, there aren't any plans to cast an original tooth, but to sculpt a "master tooth" out of Paleo Sculp or Magic Sculp. You're right in that an original tooth would probably be destroyed during the molding process. They are so very fragile.

..... That bone in the second picture in your previous post looks like the quadrate ..

no doubt about that: it's a quadrate

regards,

dirk

Can't wait to see the final reconstruction. That bone in the second picture in your previous post looks like the quadrate. Really pretty, amazing how sometimes fragile bones can survive for such an immense period of time.

Also, at the bottom of the first page. You posted about that non bone thing. Since I didn't see any reactions to that post. Here are my thoughts.

As far as I know those are just concretions. I've seen plenty of those that were pretty much exactly the same in other Maastrichtian Morocco material. Looks like bone from the outside with a rough surface but the inside is completely smooth. I find that they're generally also much softer than the matrix or bone. I normally just remove it from my pieces, though none are as amazing as your Halisaurus piece.

no doubt about that: it's a quadrate

regards, dirk

Well, with the quadrate present. It's probably possible to identify the exact species since it's one of the most destinct bones in mosasaurs.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Well, with the quadrate present. It's probably possible to identify the exact species since it's one of the most destinct bones in mosasaurs.

yes, but at least you'll need some good detailed pictures from all sides

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, I kind of fell off the face of the fossil planet for a while, but it is finally done.  I estimate 200 hours or so in prep time.  It is about 75-80% original.  The last few verts that were in the block were let off, due to their poor condition (I think they were demolished by a small shark or other predator).   Anyhow, here is some closure.  I'm sticking with mammal skulls from now on.  This thing was a WAY bigger project than expected. 

Nick

IMG_20160828_113425129.jpg

• I found this Informative 3