What Am I

explorer1

I was found in the ssr 5 years ago,i love my new home i need a name. they say i look like rajida type, but not sure. any help here would my new friend explorer1 aka jeremy

post-900-1225159791_thumb.jpg

post-900-1225159815_thumb.jpg

post-900-1225159837_thumb.jpg

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

I was found in the ssr 5 years ago,i love my new home i need a name. they say i look like rajida type, but not sure. any help here would my new friend explorer1 aka jeremy

Size? It certainly looks like a skate or ray tooth (though pictures aren't all that clear) -- raja sp. or dasyatis sp. -- check out the batoid section of elasmo.com to see if you can match it.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Size? It certainly looks like a skate tooth -- raja sp. -- check out the batoid section of elasmo.com to see if you can match it.
no match size is fish hook beside it lol, thats a crappie hook. thanks

explorer1:

This appears to be a very tiny rostral tooth from is an Ischyrhiza and may represent Ischyrhiza avonicola Estes, 1964. Ischyrhiza avonicola is found in the Taylor Group (Campanian). Refer to "The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas", Bruce J. Welton and Roger Farish for more detailed information.

Regards,

Mike

explorer1:

This appears to be a very tiny rostral tooth from is an Ischyrhiza and may represent Ischyrhiza avonicola Estes, 1964. Ischyrhiza avonicola is found in the Taylor Group (Campanian). Refer to "The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas", Bruce J. Welton and Roger Farish for more detailed information.

Regards,

Mike

well i found this info any comments to this would help, ok elasmo has one similar, name ewingia

,incerta sedis undetermined rajiform. the roots throw me off i have all the ones you guys mentioned and the roots again keep messing me up lol thanks yall

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have nothing to add to the Identification, but I sure like the fossil. Really neat looking specimen, and very nicely preserved too.

no match size is fish hook beside it lol, thats a crappie hook. thanks

Oh I don't know... that looks like a reasonably good hook to me... ;)

The tooth's great! The shape is really amazing... although I preferred it when I thought it was an inch or two long!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

well i found this info any comments to this would help, ok elasmo has one similar, name ewingia

,incerta sedis undetermined rajiform. the roots throw me off i have all the ones you guys mentioned and the roots again keep messing me up lol thanks yall

I agree -- the root is the issue. It's amazingly complex. None of my batoid specimens have that complicated a root, though they are all Miocene in origin. I still think you have a batoid. In addition to elasmo.com, I checked Cappetta's Handbook of Paleoichthyology Volume 3B which covers the batoids and I couldn't find a good match for the root.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Great example of Ewingia problematica - often found by bulk screening NSR and SSR sediments. Designation problematica due to the difficulty in assignment - may be a batoid may not...

Great example of Ewingia problematica - often found by bulk screening NSR and SSR sediments. Designation problematica due to the difficulty in assignment - may be a batoid may not...
lol batiod is correct , i have been batty over this a while. i will post pic today of the other ones yall mentioned, big difference. and i have one other

tooth with no name this one is a toughy.

I have nothing to add to the Identification, but I sure like the fossil. Really neat looking specimen, and very nicely preserved too.
thanks explorer1 aka confused

you agree then right ,the examples they have are worn mine is not but the roots match in complexness. anyone else agree.

having looked at a number of examples in the Welton/Farish book, it seems to me to most closely resemble the ischyrhiza texana rostral teeth of upper eagle ford (turonian) strata.

it's a neat find and looks very well preserved.

Attached are a few pics of Ewingia problematica from the SSR, in my collection - Cappetta is currently studying the shark/ray micro fauna... your example matches well...

post-213-1225234482_thumb.jpgpost-213-1225234496_thumb.jpg

How cool would it be to have a Reiker mount containing nothing but fossils with "problematica" in their names?

(Might take a while...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Attached are some Ischyrhiza mira oral teeth for comparison - ok yes they are I. Mira not I. texana - but it's ok.... will dig out some of my I. texana and post them later. The giveaway for Ewingia problematica is the root, see prior post...

post-213-1225235208_thumb.jpgpost-213-1225235215_thumb.jpg

post-213-1225235225_thumb.jpg

How cool would it be to have a Reiker mount containing nothing but fossils with "problematica" in their names?

(Might take a while...)

now thats a good one lol

Attached are some Ischyrhiza mira oral teeth for comparison - ok yes they are I. Mira not I. texana - but it's ok.... will dig out some of my I. texana and post them later. The giveaway for Ewingia problematica is the root, see prior post...

post-213-1225235208_thumb.jpgpost-213-1225235215_thumb.jpg

i just posted some of mira good ones lol if i mght add for referance, check my gallery for my little world, i have hundreds of differnt species off of ssr. yours are really nice. YOU GUYS ARE A BIG HELP THANKS

That is a sweet little find you have there.
tHANKS MOMMA IT HAS HAUNTED MY SLEEP FOR YEARS, waking up with coffee and microscope lol ,at least my eyes are the still the same size .