Jaw Bone

green1

Cool! So how long have they been extinct in North America?

The match test indicates to what degree the bone is mineralized.

Tapirs (Tapirus sp.) survived quite late into the Pleistocene. I have a tapir radius with butcher marks from Gilchrist County, Florida.

I suspect that such a fossil is a rare find in Arkansas. WTG!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

post-959-1225200184_thumb.jpg

This is my first post. Hope I got the right size on the photo. Can anyone identify?

UH GUYS WAIT LOOK AT IT AGAIN. CAN YOU GIVE US A PIC OF THE TOP OR CROWN OF THE JAW. i need to see the top of the teeth. thanks and it does look like tapir.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

UH GUYS WAIT LOOK AT IT AGAIN. CAN YOU GIVE US A PIC OF THE TOP OR CROWN OF THE JAW. i need to see the top of the teeth. thanks and it does look like tapir.

I do but it's not a very good photo

post-959-1225230723_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, green1!

You have the procedures and protocalls down cold; I assume that you are either a quick study, or that you've been hanging out for a while before you joined (or both). Nice fossil, BTW :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I do but it's not a very good photo

post-959-1225230723_thumb.jpg

darn , i was looking for a certain tapir, that is sweeet. nice keep it up.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

darn , i was looking for a certain tapir, that is sweeet. nice keep it up.

Thanks! And to all for the welcome and the info! My husband makes fun of me because I am always picking up interesting rocks and looking for arrowheads, etc. That's what i was really doing when i found this. The jaw was actually buried tooth side down and it just looked like a piece of wood sticking out of the mud, don't know why I picked it up to begin with so i was a little freaked when the piece of wood had teeth! I immediately new it was something unusual though.

BTW - can you tell in the picture there is another molar that had not erupted? Does that mean this was a young Tapir?

Thanks! And to all for the welcome and the info! My husband makes fun of me because I am always picking up interesting rocks and looking for arrowheads, etc. That's what i was really doing when i found this. The jaw was actually buried tooth side down and it just looked like a piece of wood sticking out of the mud, don't know why I picked it up to begin with so i was a little freaked when the piece of wood had teeth! I immediately new it was something unusual though.

BTW - can you tell in the picture there is another molar that had not erupted? Does that mean this was a young Tapir?

You can see a juvenile tapir jaw here in one of the Forum albums.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest