Pennsylvanian Crustacean

Missourian

I'm pretty sure this is a crustacean of some sort:

post-6808-0-95461200-1357974611_thumb.jpg

It measures 7 mm from 'arched back' to 'tips'. It was found in a phosphatic nodule from a black shale. Associated fossils include the crustacean Concavicaris, ammonoids, fish, and conodonts. It came from the Muncie Creek Shale in the Kansas City metro.

I'm hoping someone here could narrow down the id.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Niiice! Looks like a peeler shrimp (in part because I haven's had lunch yet).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful! I would agree it looks like you have the carapace and abdomen of a shrimp. This looks like it would prep out even more as well. The preservation is outstanding!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Wow, I had heard crustaceans could be found in the Pennsylvanian but

have never found even a scrap.. Congratulations, a great addition to your

collection! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone. The encouraging comments leave me confident that at least its id as a crustacean is on the right track.

.....This looks like it would prep out even more as well. .....

I'm happy with it as is. With my luck, I'd be poking at the matrix, and a piece of the carapace would just vanish from sight and end up in the carpet somewhere on the other side of the room. :)

Wow, I had heard crustaceans could be found in the Pennsylvanian but

have never found even a scrap..

Although this is the only complete one I've seen personally (not including those 'identified' with 'confirmation bias' :) ), various pieces of crustaceans aren't too terribly uncommon in Muncie Creek nodules. I would be surprised if some don't eventually turn up in your Texas concretions.

Context is critical.

...I'm happy with it as is. With my luck, I'd be poking at the matrix, and a piece of the carapace would just vanish from sight and end up in the carpet somewhere on the other side of the room... :)

That reminds me of one of my near blunders. Years ago I was poking and prepping on a prized trilobite until it was almost too late. Luckily I saw the 2mm genal spine tip when it went flying across the room.... even luckier it wasn't carpet. Still, it took me about an hour to find it and fix it, never to touch it again! :o

Agreed, good is good enough. :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png