Crinoids From Chat

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, there are three items here. I have talked about all three of them on chat. One of the very first things I ever posted to this forum was that I found a site where I can find large pieces of large trilobites, Dalmanites. And I have said I would post a picture, so finally here it is. This is just one of the heads I have found and collected. About 4" across or so. So far no whole specimens. The two crinoids I talked about last night, 10-28-08. The one with the long tentacles was found near the small town of Gurley, Alabama several years ago when I was teaching some students how to repel down the cliffs of an old quarry. I just happened to turn over the correct rock. The other crinoid (still on a much larger rock), was found near the town of Red Bay, Alabama. It is my most recebt whole crinoid find. Both of the crinoids are Carboniferous (I think). I have included views from different angles to help in the ID. Have fun.

...I just happened to turn over the correct rock....

Indeed!

Have you gone back to turn over some more?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your second crinoid is a Phanocrinus. It is Mississippian. The first crinoid is a Phacelocrinus longidactylus, as was my guess last night. It is also Mississippian. Both are VERY nice. They could use a bit of prep work. I am available for hire.

crinus

Guest N.AL.hunter

Crinus:

Thanks a lot for the IDs. Yes, I have a lot of stuff that needs prep work. I must get a microblaster soon. Wish I could afford to have them done by you, but alas, we start our new budget on November 1st and there is no room there for fossil cleaning. I REALLY need to win that lottery!!

Auspex:

I did go back one time and turn over more rocks with Zero success. It is strange cause I didn't even find any other fragments/pieces of crinoids. It's like this one crinoid fell out of the sky and I found it. I also have a trilobite head (Isotelus) from a site that is the same way, but in Tennessee. Not one other piece found there, yet the head on the one I found is around 3.5 inches across. I call them "teasers".

OK, there are three items here. I have talked about all three of them on chat. One of the very first things I ever posted to this forum was that I found a site where I can find large pieces of large trilobites, Dalmanites. And I have said I would post a picture, so finally here it is. This is just one of the heads I have found and collected. About 4" across or so. So far no whole specimens. The two crinoids I talked about last night, 10-28-08. The one with the long tentacles was found near the small town of Gurley, Alabama several years ago when I was teaching some students how to repel down the cliffs of an old quarry. I just happened to turn over the correct rock. The other crinoid (still on a much larger rock), was found near the town of Red Bay, Alabama. It is my most recebt whole crinoid find. Both of the crinoids are Carboniferous (I think). I have included views from different angles to help in the ID. Have fun.
those are big , nice real nice, wish i had some.

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.