January 2013 Finds Of The Month

Cris

MikeyMig,

Have you ever seen the mastodon skull they found at letchworth state park and have on display at the museum with the artifacts collection? If not, you should check it out!

Mike DOTB

Yeah I've seen it awhile ago and it used to be covered in 100 year old graffiti. When I was a teenager we had parties near a pond behind a classmates house In Geneseo and some years later they turned the land into a golfcourse. When they dug out the pond during the course construction they found a near complete Mastodon in it. To think that I was that close to a specimen like that and not know it makes me sick. :doh!:

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Yeah I've seen it awhile ago and it used to be covered in 100 year old graffiti. When I was a teenager we had parties near a pond behind a classmates house In Geneseo and some years later they turned the land into a golfcourse. When they dug out the pond during the course construction they found a near complete Mastodon in it. To think that I was that close to a specimen like that and not know it makes me sick. :doh!:

mikey

Ha ha, if only we knew then, what we know now right!?

MikeDOTB

DO, or do not. There is no try.

WOW! The start of the new year sure has come in with a bang with these finds. Everyday I am amazed at my fellow forum members fossil wonders!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

I have here one Whale Shark tooth found in some micro-matrix from the Aurora mine in NC (Pungo Formation)...

I found this tooth on the second of this month.

Here are two views of the tooth. The lines at the left are 1mm apart, and the lines at the bottom are 1/16 of an inch apart.

post-5742-0-05736600-1358425957_thumb.jpgpost-5742-0-31542900-1358425958_thumb.jpg

I have 2 of them from there. Congrats.

Bear-dog.

Here is my contribution.

American mastodon (Mammut americanum) tooth from the Pleistocene of Eastern North Carolina. Found on Jan. 20 2013.

100_1835_zpsbc93902f.jpg

100_1845_zps7bb4ddee.jpg

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear-dog.

Nice Varden!

The edge on that tooth looks mint!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I've been doing some prep on the Eocene stuff I collected last summer, and I found this. I'm not even sure I knew what it was when I collected. It was quite buried in rock. It is a small alligator dentary from the Wasatch Fm of southwestern Wyoming. Only one tooth preserved, but you can see some nice alveoli on the anterior (chin) end of the jaw. I think the genus is Allognathosuchus. This took me about two hours to prep, primarily by sandblasting with bicrab at 20 psi. Two views, labial and lingual (from the outside and the inside).

Gotta give that pterosaur a run for its money, in case the mastodon tooth and the shark teeth aren't doing it...

post-1450-0-98620200-1359353782_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-83075600-1359353810_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpc

I've been doing some prep on the Eocene stuff I collected last summer, and I found this. I'm not even sure I knew what it was when I collected. It was quite buried in rock. It is a small alligator dentary from the Wasatch Fm of southwestern Wyoming. Only one tooth preserved, but you can see some nice alveoli on the anterior (chin) end of the jaw. I think the genus is Allognathosuchus. This took me about two hours to prep, primarily by sandblasting with bicrab at 20 psi. Two views, labial and lingual (from the outside and the inside).

Gotta give that pterosaur a run for its money, in case the mastodon tooth and the shark teeth aren't doing it...

post-1450-0-98620200-1359353782_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-83075600-1359353810_thumb.jpg

JP, that is a really neat looking tiny alligator jaw you got there! Reminds me of the size my grandmother used to bring back from Florida back in the 1970's every year after vacationing there for the winter. She would always bring my brother and I a small (10-12") stuffed alligator as a souvenir.

Daryl.

Hello all!

My entry for this month is an enormus crassostrea gryphoides oyster found in my hunting area (late miocene Middle Crete island, Greece), in Dec. 2012 with the prep finished these days.

This type of oysters are typical of my island but this very sample is the biggest almost complete one I have found to date. It measures 36 x 16 x 15 cm and weights 6,5 kg (about 14,3 p).

It makes my hand look that little...!

Pics before and after the prep.

post-4345-0-02001800-1359579073_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-59003500-1359579082_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-57141200-1359579092_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-00838900-1359579102_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-94719600-1359579110_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

2 The Bone Masters: My Mouth hangs open. . . . :o

Congratulations are in order, for all entries in my humple opinon.

-Just wow.

Hi There Guys and Gals of thefossilforum!

It is 11:50 p.m. on Jan. 30th! On January 29th I went out fossil hunting in MinnesOta! And I came back with, drum roll pleassse...

A trilobite named Anataphrus borraeus! IDed by CALEB! Second one actually :)

post-9628-0-09412700-1359611793_thumb.jpg

And here she is!

Galena Formation, prosser or is it posser member, ah, who cares; Ordovician Era, southeastern MinnesOta!

And no, I am not feeling any pain... LOL

A little, or not so little, Canadian Whiskey for courage, and an angle grinder with a masonry blade and an engraver...

post-9628-0-97585000-1359612238_thumb.jpg

And a lot of dust! Man, I should have done this in the garage as opposed to the kitchen table!

My very first "prep" or, butcher job... Depends upon how you see it! :( or :)

This is where I started-

post-9628-0-66841700-1359612428_thumb.jpg

So, hey, I won't win, but heck, this is worth the hangover, right!

I found a trilobite in January in MinnesOta! In one day, between an ice storm and -10 the next day (wind chills -35), wearing ice cleats no less, AND learned to butcher/prep a fossil!!! With whiskey!!! LOL Is fossil with one L or 2... LOL

Oh, a party without ever leaving home!!!! LOL

I better sign off. LOL Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Oh Brent, THANK YOU!

Never even thought about glasses or lung protection!

Thank you for looking out after us newbies!

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Now THAT'S an oyster!

Vey nice!

Thanks much, Brent. ;)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hi There Guys and Gals of thefossilforum!

It is 11:50 p.m. on Jan. 30th! On January 29th I went out fossil hunting in MinnesOta! And I came back with, drum roll pleassse...

A trilobite named Anataphrus borraeus! IDed by CALEB! Second one actually :)

post-9628-0-09412700-1359611793_thumb.jpg

And here she is!

Galena Formation, prosser or is it posser member, ah, who cares; Ordovician Era, southeastern MinnesOta!

And no, I am not feeling any pain... LOL

A little, or not so little, Canadian Whiskey for courage, and an angle grinder with a masonry blade and an engraver...

post-9628-0-97585000-1359612238_thumb.jpg

And a lot of dust! Man, I should have done this in the garage as opposed to the kitchen table!

My very first "prep" or, butcher job... Depends upon how you see it! :( or :)

This is where I started-

post-9628-0-66841700-1359612428_thumb.jpg

So, hey, I won't win, but heck, this is worth the hangover, right!

I found a trilobite in January in MinnesOta! In one day, between an ice storm and -10 the next day (wind chills -35), wearing ice cleats no less, AND learned to butcher/prep a fossil!!! With whiskey!!! LOL Is fossil with one L or 2... LOL

Oh, a party without ever leaving home!!!! LOL

I better sign off. LOL Bev :)

& Who says women are weak!?!?! Bev- We need more like you to rep the 'gentler' genter! U Found it in sub zero temps & prepped, all in a matter of two days?!?!? Holy freakin wow. Awesome find! I personally am rlly glad trils arent around anymore, creepier than cockroaches, but in the ocean? -No thanx!! & One more tiny piece of two cents from me: I cannot help but notice that the members in this topic/thread, all have waaaay more time/posts/contibutions on TFF Than have I. ~Am I allowed in here? :popcorn: Just curious, can't help but ask & "Oneday, I will maybe be lucky enough to have something worthy of submitting!"

& Who says women are weak!?!?! Bev- We need more like you to rep the 'gentler' genter! U Found it in sub zero temps & prepped, all in a matter of two days?!?!? Holy freakin wow. Awesome find! I personally am rlly glad trils arent around anymore, creepier than cockroaches, but in the ocean? -No thanx!! & One more tiny piece of two cents from me: I cannot help but notice that the members in this topic/thread, all have waaaay more time/posts/contibutions on TFF Than have I. ~Am I allowed in here? :popcorn: Just curious, can't help but ask & "Oneday, I will maybe be lucky enough to have something worthy of submitting!"

Of course you're welcome here.. and we hope that someday you will have something cool to enter. Oh, and you should know , yes some of us have been doing this longer than... hmmmm... longer than you've been breathing I dare say. Now where's that smiley with the graying beard? I'd even bet some of us gave up TV for TFF. (That sounds like a whole new post).

I'd even bet some of us gave up TV for TFF.

You would be correct good sir!

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Wow Bev, is that your kitchen table under the grinder and the rocks? Maybe some of those "silly questions" you posted in the other thread weren't so silly. I got in trouble the other day for putting a chain saw on the kitchen counter, with a stack of newspaper underneath, so I could sharpen the blade.

Don

It wouldn't let me reply to you before Don! Yes, that is my kitchen table. Bob was gone overnight. But boy, do I have lime dust every place!

I think you were ever so kind to put newspaper under the chainsaw. Bob doesn't bother...

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts: