To Polish Or Not To Polish My Dino Bone?

AJ Plai

Hi all, I have a dinosaur bone specimen from Utah (Jurassic era) that I have been holding onto

for more than 15 years now (bought it from Discovery Store in Las Vegas when I was a kid).

I was wondering if its possible to ID a specimen like this without expensive lab equipment? I am hard

pressed to find a qualified paleontologist to help me out where I live, plus there is also the risk that if

I approach a qualified authority it might get confiscated since I have lost my proof of purchase years

ago. It would be nice to know more about the fossil but its no big deal if that's not happening.

Also, I am pondering about polishing the piece but not sure whether if there is danger to damaging the

fossil or not. Though I love the look of polished bone fossils and this one looks like it might have potential

to be a good polished piece but I could be wrong...

The fossil looks like it has a lot of colors and some mineral deposits that might look better if polished.

What do you guys think? Thx in advance for the tips and answers!

post-10857-0-52017100-1358451458_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-27138500-1358451581_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-36485600-1358451606_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJ Plai

I can't see your pix... : (

It looks like from the file names that they are on your computer, and not actually upoaded to anywhere on the web...

Edited by jpc

Were it mine, I would consider cutting a cross-grain slice to see what it looks like. Some of that material is beautifully agatized, some, not so much.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am usually loath to polish a fossil, but you may be able to bring out the bone structure of yours by polishing the cross section. I really don't think you have to worry about it being confiscated.

Hehe here in Thailand, you can never be too sure. My frequent fossil dealers warned me about it because

he has had his legally obtained mammoth tusk confiscated before. In this case, there was a good chance that

the tusk went into the collection of some well-connected politician - most likely sold by the people who

confiscated the tusk - the authority themselves. So I am not taking that chances, without my paperwork!

Anyhow, will polishing the bone devalue my fossil from a collector's perspective?

Though I believe, the specimen I have is not scientifically significant, so polishing or cutting it up for such

a process wouldn't ruin it that much.

Just wondering, how much do you think the value of something like this piece would be nowadays? Not that

I am looking to sell it, but after 15 years kept away in a trunk, I kinda want to get a feel of whether it became

more valuable these days or not.

Anyway, thx for the replies guys!

If polishing an end-cut reveals internal structural detail, it would (to me) enhance its value.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry, didn't see that you were in Thailand :blush: I guess if you are worried about corrupt officials then even with a proof of purchase maybe it is safer to keep your fossils out of view.