Mineral Shark Egg Fossil?

travelinsam

• New Members

I live in Redondo Beach, California. I was beach combing with some friends one night during a particularly low tide in Hermosa Beach. When I found this I thought it was a moonstone as it seemed iridescent and that's what I was hunting for. I tumbled it with my other rocks and whatever it is, it is very hard. After over six weeks of tumbling I finally saw some changes and clarity. After searching the web for days to no avail, it occurred to me that the shape, color and size seem to fit the characteristics of a shark egg. Also it appears to be a baby shark inside. However, I have no idea what the substance is or how it could have formed. By the way I have scant knowledge of fossils and only a few days experience excavating...

Any input received will be highly appreciated!

Thanks and happy hunting!

post-10875-0-36626300-1358471566_thumb.jpg

post-10875-0-36158200-1358471594_thumb.jpg

post-10875-0-02279800-1358471607_thumb.jpg

post-10875-0-69353300-1358471610_thumb.jpg

post-10875-0-83860800-1358471636_thumb.jpg

It's probably a quartz pebble (or a similar micro/crypto crystalline mineral).

I do not believe it is a fossil shark egg case. There are such, but they are two-dimensional films/impressions; they generally do not fossilize as a 3-D object.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's probably a quartz pebble (or a similar micro/crypto crystalline mineral).

I do not believe it is a fossil shark egg case. There are such, but they are two-dimensional films/impressions; they generally do not fossilize as a 3-D object.

Didn't somebody on here have one from Mazon Creek?

Didn't somebody on here have one from Mazon Creek?

There are a couple discussions:

LINK

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Sam,

I'm not seeing a shark fossil here either. I'd go with a microcrystalline mineral, as suggested quartz would be the most likely suspect. Sorry. :(

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

• New Members

Thanks for all the great responses. It does not seem like any other fossil out there I will readily admit. However, I'm not quite ready to give up. The similarity in size and shape to a shark egg is quite astounding. I will let you all know if I find out anything...Thanks again!

Thanks for all the great responses. It does not seem like any other fossil out there I will readily admit. However, I'm not quite ready to give up. The similarity in size and shape to a shark egg is quite astounding. I will let you all know if I find out anything...Thanks again!

It may have a vague semblance, but it really doesn't look that similar to a shark case. It lacks the detail and structure of a case, and I think that the translucency (which would not be preserved by fossilisation) is what's drawing you to that identification.

I like it... I'd have it hanging around to... But I dont think its an eggcase... Keep looking...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)