Art Exhibit, Not Completely Fossil Related, But Interesting...

Scylla

OK, there is the word "fossil" in the article so it isn't completely irrelevant. The exhibit revolves arround early natural history displays and books illustrating them. I think it will be of interest to TFF members. This is where all those museums we love got their start.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/arts/design/rooms-of-wonder-at-the-grolier-club.html?_r=0

This lands squarely in the middle of a fascination I have with the history of science, particularly what I call the "Naive Period".

Great stuff; thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Scylla,

That was a fun read! I could be wrong but I think people would work out more if exercise machines still looked like this.

post-7497-0-94465700-1358524247_thumb.jpg

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

How 'bout "Cabinets of Wonder"? LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That was an interesting link id never heard of those before; I wonder if curiosity shops stemmed from that centuries-old tradition.

You’ll always find a curiosity shop in every town in the UK and they certainly catch your eye and tempt you in with their curios.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

That was an interesting link id never heard of those before; I wonder if curiosity shops stemmed from that centuries-old tradition.

You’ll always find a curiosity shop in every town in the UK and they certainly catch your eye and tempt you in with their curios.

They may have. The museums of natural history are decendent from this, so why not curiosity shops. My favorite curiosity shop is accros the street from the American Museum of Natural History.