Mazon Creek Mystery

evannorton

Hi Folks-

Been opening a number of nodules of late and came across this - which I think is likely nothing - but I thought I'd poll the forum.

The nodule was collected at a Braidwood location - where I typically find fauna - I have found one edmondia clam (but I am assumming it is fresh water variety).

Any thoughts on this?

Sorry in advance for the poor quality image....I haven't invested yet in better camera equipment.

post-8532-0-17581600-1358524331_thumb.jpg

Nice! I don't know what it is but I bet it's something! I will be watching this thread closely when those in the know start chiming in! I have popped a lot of nodules and although every one of them is interesting, they can be hard to identify! Out of curiosity, did you freeze/thaw or hammer this one open?

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Hi Evan,

If it was from Pit 11, i would say it might be a poorly preserved jellyfish. Since it is from the non marine Braidwood portion of the deposit, i would think it is more then likely just some interesting mineralization. I have come across many examples very similar to yours. It is also possible it might be a poorly preserved coprolite.

Hi RCFossils-

I agree with you that it is likely some form of mineralization. I see mineralization in nodules quite frequently; however, this shape was odd.

Thanks so much for your review!!! Have a nice weekend.