2013 Goals

Cris

My goal-Clean up my fossil shed so I can get more in it. Getting to old to crawl under the bed to play with fossils!

Finding the time to find more concretions that have something other than a Pulalius (although I thoroughly enjoy finding anything), but a Rananid, Panopeus, Meandrecampus or Meggokos would have me grinning from mastoid process to mastoid process. :D

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Hmm got a few I've been pondering for a few years...in no particular order ...

1. open up an old spot

2. visit an old spot I discovered 5 yrs ago and possibly re-open it

3. don't get injured while fossil collecting

4. find something super rare and awesome

5. build (or buy) a display cabinet

6. organize my finds

7. try a spot or two out of state - AL, NJ, or NC

Daryl.

I just want to increase my collection of theropod material, maybe get some better quality examples of specimens I already have.

As far as getting out and about, I plan on rediscovering a Triassic insect locality not far from home.

As far as getting out and about, I plan on rediscovering a Triassic insect locality not far from home.

I would like to see/hear about that site if you find it.

I'm working on getting a decent indoor photography set-up and would like to get out in the field more often this year.

I would like to see/hear about that site if you find it.

I found some detailed location info in a book at the local museum, unfortunately it is over 100 years old and the railway that leads to the cutting where it was discovered was ripped up due to flood damage in about 1915 and now (looking on google maps) it is totally hidden in dense bushland.

If anything this makes it sound even more exciting to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Find a mosasaur! And visit the Green River Formation.

Hmmmm.... I don't think there are many mosasaurs in the Green River........

Just kidding!

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Too many papers to finish up. Pronghorns to describe from Northern Mexico (new Genus and species from the Irvingtonian), pronghorn from central Mexico (2 new species, perhaps new genera from the Hemphillian) perhaps a new species from the Hemphillian of Florida. Capybaras to describe from northen Mexico and from a Pacific coast state. Finishing up a book on antique bottles from a small town in central New Jersey (I was an archaeologist before I moved over into paleo). And half a dozen other projects.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Re-find raptor tooth in Hell Creek that I lost 2 years ago. I had wrapped in in aluminum foil, placed the aluminum foil in my prescription bottle for safe keeping. When I got back to the hotel that evening I went to look at the beautiful little curved dagger. I removed the aluminum foil, unwrapped it, and no tooth!!! I am certain it slipped out of the end of the aluminum foil when I tried to put in the bottle. The exact location where the bottle sat on the siderite bed is burned into my head, can't wait until July to go look again.

Oh, and finish cataloging my collection and updating my Trilobase records! Ive started this at least. I have several people I would like to collect with from the forum as well.

Edited by JimB88

Some more....

- Organize my collection. Much of it is ridiculously haphazard. I need to get boxes, containers, etc. of all types.

- Finish entering new additions into my 'core collection' database (Excel spreadsheet). My 'core collection' contains the best examples of each genus, plus some notable standouts.

- Photograph every piece in my core collection, at least. Imaging is my preferred method of cataloging specimens. I don't like marking my fossils in any way.

- Find new genera.

- Find a receptaculid.

- Search for microfossils in the various stratigraphic horizons. I found one excellent deposit ( http://www.thefossil..._60#entry377885 ) completely by accident.

- Investigate the tally of sites that I've found in various publications. The sites themselves may no longer exist, but they should provide context for the surrounding areas.

- Find more good exposures of the Winterset Limestone. This unit is pretty much hit and miss, but when it hits....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Hmmm 2013 is off to a good start!

1. In 2013 I want to find something good enough to enter in the fossil of the month category. And I found and got unburied partially a trilo and entered in Jan.!

2. Create a fossil website for Bluff Country. Better than half done. Requested by Forestville State Park so they can link to it.

3. Start attractive labeling of my fossils--got a printer so that will help!

4. Learn to prep. I have a start at that but I have to build the box for the air abrasive.

5. Put my fossils on display somewhere for a short time.

6. Ask to fossil hunt at the Hidden Lake Quarry--got to get up the nerve.

7. Learn to "see" partial trilobites.

8. Fossil Hunt More!

9. Go to the MAPS Expo.

10. Join Maps and go to an IA fossil hunt!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Open a quarry!!!

This is something I should have done awhile back but things happen for a reason. I have a friend with a backhoe and dozer and the landowner is cool with it. The quarry will be for Devonian trilobites like huge Eldredgeops, Dipleura (with exo), Monodechenella, Bellacartwrightia, Greenops, Basidechenella, and Phyllocarids. I also expect to find the odd crinoid, brittle star, and fish from time to time.

Mikey

Edited by mikeymig

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

:o Nothing worse than losing a really nice fossil this way! Been there, done that

I did that with a small enrolled trilobite and what I thought could be an upper Penn. blastoid (maybe not, but I didn't get a chance to look). I picked them up, but they weren't anywhere when I got home.

And bummer on the raptor tooth.

Context is critical.

Open a quarry!!!

This is something I should have done awhile back but things happen for a reason. I have a friend with a backhoe and dozer and the landowner is cool with it. The quarry will be for Devonian trilobites like huge Eldredgeops, Dipleura (with exo), Monodechenella, Bellacartwrightia, Greenops, Basidechenella, and Phyllocarids. I also expect to find the odd crinoid, brittle star, and fish from time to time.

Mikey

Hey Mikey!

One of my new goals is to collect at this afore mentioned quarry! ;):P:D

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey, has anyone here ever bought a played out quarry?

We have a lot of them around here. I'm just wondering what one should cost? There is really nothing constructive you can do with them... Except hunt fossils... :)

May, have a side line tourism business or like they do in the West, pay for hunts.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Hey Mikey!

One of my new goals is to collect at this afore mentioned quarry! ;):P:D

Regards,

You know it brother!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I'd be there too if I could! Phyllocarids, brittlestars... I expect you to show them here when you find them!

My only goal is to survive my last semester of RN school so I can get out and hunt again!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey, has anyone here ever bought a played out quarry?

We have a lot of them around here. I'm just wondering what one should cost? There is really nothing constructive you can do with them... Except hunt fossils... :)

May, have a side line tourism business or like they do in the West, pay for hunts.

That's an idea... might work better in your area though, here land costs way too much and most of the sites I know of someone probably would have done this already if it were affordable. I know of a small site not far from me with piles of fossiliferous rock that will no doubt be removed and dumped somewhere else once the land is sold (for sale now); if it didn't cost an arm and a leg and if I had a spot I'd have them dump it where I could continue to have access to it!

Hey, what is the worst thing that can happen if you ask? They say no!

Call the realtor. S/he may know someone who wants it off that site. Never know, they could pay for the moving!

Go to my

Pinned Posts: